Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MACBOOK Pro doesn't chime (BONG) during startup anymore. How do I restore that?

My MACBOOK Pro doesn't chime (BONG) during startup anymore. How do I restore that?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2019 1:19 PM

Thanks. Tried and negative result. Cannot explain but it was working before and stopped about a week and a half ago. Cannot determine if resulted from update or what. I have read that the chime was indication that machine was working properly. When I didn't hear it I became concerned and I've not been able to locate the problem.

NOT SOLVED! AGGRESSIVE FINGERS......

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2019 1:19 PM in response to DonSpe

Thanks. Tried and negative result. Cannot explain but it was working before and stopped about a week and a half ago. Cannot determine if resulted from update or what. I have read that the chime was indication that machine was working properly. When I didn't hear it I became concerned and I've not been able to locate the problem.

NOT SOLVED! AGGRESSIVE FINGERS......

Apr 20, 2019 12:53 PM in response to DonSpe

DonSpe wrote:

You do not say what exact Mac /model /year /size /retina /touchbar is this ?

The new machines do not have the chime.

Mac models from late 2016 and newer don't have a startup chime, with the exception of MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).

About Mac startup tones - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.