Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting rid of orphaned files in Safari

My bank, RBS, installed IBM Rapport in Safari and after a year or two dropped it. So I managed somehow to trash it as unnecessary only to find it has left multitudinous Warnings for Orphaned Files. I can't find the folder to trash. RBS tells me I need to engage a computer expert to sort it but couldn't give me a name. I am thinking of changing my bank.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 2:31 PM

Yes, if you cannot use that bank without Trusteer change banks. Tusteer is practically malware and it should never be installed on a Mac. There have been many posts here about folks whose Macs never worked right after installing it.

You might run run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. It should show if any Trusteer files are still present and find all orphaned files and allow you to delete them. After it runs post the log file here if you need help. It will contain no personal information.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2019 2:31 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

Yes, if you cannot use that bank without Trusteer change banks. Tusteer is practically malware and it should never be installed on a Mac. There have been many posts here about folks whose Macs never worked right after installing it.

You might run run Etrecheck  It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. It should show if any Trusteer files are still present and find all orphaned files and allow you to delete them. After it runs post the log file here if you need help. It will contain no personal information.

Apr 21, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

Search for any part of the name - trustees, ibm, rapport - plus any other names you may remember tied to the components. Easy Find is not a Spotlight Replacement. It does much more than Spotlight. It is not as fast because it does not create index files that take up disk space, but it is much easier to use. It is also better than Find Any File.

If Rapport came with an uninstaller, then try reinstalling it for any bank just to get the uninstaller. Then remove it with the uninstaller. Bear in mind that once you remove files located in specific places, then you need not worry about other leftover files which only use a little disk space.

Orphaned files may simply be aliases without targets. This may have nothing to do with Rapport or Trusteer. Did the errors arise when Disk Utility was checking APFS snapshots? Try Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update and installing it.

Apr 21, 2019 1:00 PM in response to Ewan Lamont

Basics for Uninstalling Software

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash.  Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder.  Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space.  If you want you can look for them at the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. If you cannot find the uninstaller then you could download the freeware, Easy Find, to locate files that need to be removed. The places you need to search include:

1. /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. Check if the application has created a folder then delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder.
  2. Applications may install a startupitem or a LogIn item. StartupItems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder or the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder.  Login Items are set in the Users & Groups preferences. Open it in System Preferences, then click on the Login Items tab. Select the item from the list and click on the Delete [-] button to remove it.
  3. Some software use startup daemons or agents.  Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder.  Usually with the same name as the program or the developer.  The item generally has a ".pkg" extension.  Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are many utilities that can uninstall applications.  Here is a selection:

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

getting rid of orphaned files in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.