Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete song from iPhone and iTunes library simultaneously

How can I prevent a song I deleted from my iPhone from coming back when I sync with iTunes?

I want the songs I delete from my iPhone to be gone everywhere.

I know this request is contrary to Apple's business strategy of forcing me to pay for an iCloud upgrade through forbidding users to delete data off iCloud, or making it very difficult.

I just hope there is a way to have a song deleted from an iPhone also delete from your iTunes library.

I don't want to fire up an iMac and iTunes everytime want to edit my music library.

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 11:02 AM

Here is a workaround for people who don't want to be outsmarted by Apple's financial strategy to increase cloud storage sales by making it hard to delete things from iCloud:

-Dislike the songs you want to delete on the iPhone/iPad

-Shut down the Music app on your device

-Sync with an iTunes computer

-Make sure the "Love" column is selected in iTunes

-Sort the column by "Love"

-Delete all the songs that are disliked

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2019 11:02 AM in response to turingtest2

Here is a workaround for people who don't want to be outsmarted by Apple's financial strategy to increase cloud storage sales by making it hard to delete things from iCloud:

-Dislike the songs you want to delete on the iPhone/iPad

-Shut down the Music app on your device

-Sync with an iTunes computer

-Make sure the "Love" column is selected in iTunes

-Sort the column by "Love"

-Delete all the songs that are disliked

Apr 21, 2019 5:13 PM in response to Gold333

What you want isn't possible with the way that iTunes syncing is designed. Sync lets you manage your content in the iTunes library, and then at some point update your devices to reflect the library. There is a certain facility for updating playlists and ratings in the other direction, but in essence syncing is iTunes to device, and only at connection time. If you want changes you make on the device to be reflected automatically in your iTunes library then subscribe to either iTunes Match or Apple Music to take advantage of iCloud Music Library. Hmm, come to think of it that still won't work if the tracks in your iTunes Library are downloaded to it. They will be removed from iCloud Music Library, but kept in the library and marked as removed in case you want to add them back later. However they wouldn't sync back to your device, nor would you need to connect it to iTunes physically to add or remove tracks.

tt2

Delete song from iPhone and iTunes library simultaneously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.