Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cancelled Apple Music and all of my downloaded CDs disappeared. How do I get them back?

Apple Music was causing problems with my library; dumping songs that i downloaded from CDs or purchased from iTunes. So I decided to cancel Apple Music. When the cancellation was effective I got a message asking if that was what I really wanted to do. I said yes and all of the music in my library disappeared, both downloaded and purchased. I was able to restore the purchased music from my iPhone. How can i get my downloaded music back without downloading it again? If I have to download all of that music again, I will be really "displeased" with Apple.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Hi, Longash45,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that after cancelling your Apple Music membership, you are missing content you imported into iTunes from CDs. I'm happy to help!

With Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, you're able to access the entire Apple Music catalogue, and even music you already own, on all your devices. Before setting Apple Music up, the Apple Support document Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support suggests creating a backup of your device to ensure that your music isn't lost, as Apple Music isn't a backup service.

If you created a backup of your iPhone, of your computer, and/or of your iTunes library before using Apple Music, you should be able to get your music back without manually importing them into iTunes again:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Back up and restore your iTunes Library - Apple Support

Back up and restore your PC - Windows Help

Should you not have a backup, you can re-import your content into iTunes using the steps in Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC - Apple Support.

Cheers.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2019 12:53 PM in response to Longash45

Hi, Longash45,

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that after cancelling your Apple Music membership, you are missing content you imported into iTunes from CDs. I'm happy to help!

With Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, you're able to access the entire Apple Music catalogue, and even music you already own, on all your devices. Before setting Apple Music up, the Apple Support document Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music - Apple Support suggests creating a backup of your device to ensure that your music isn't lost, as Apple Music isn't a backup service.

If you created a backup of your iPhone, of your computer, and/or of your iTunes library before using Apple Music, you should be able to get your music back without manually importing them into iTunes again:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Back up and restore your iTunes Library - Apple Support

Back up and restore your PC - Windows Help

Should you not have a backup, you can re-import your content into iTunes using the steps in Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC - Apple Support.

Cheers.

Apr 22, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph,

Thank you very much for your response. I now think that I understand the problem I have encountered. I have had Apple Music from the beginning. If I understand your answer correctly, I would have to have a backup dating prior to enlisting in Apple Music. Unfortunately, I do not believe that I have any backups that old. It might be a good and honest thing for Apple to make clear that one should create a library backup and hold it in permanent reserve in case they ever decide to cancel the service.

Thanks again for you help

I cancelled Apple Music and all of my downloaded CDs disappeared. How do I get them back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.