Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

legitimate phone number for Apple Support?

I am getting messages that I have a virus, Apple Support called me back and told me I have a virus and then directed me to a web site but I am not comfortable this was legitimate. How do I know?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2019 8:36 AM

Thank you. I contacted Apple Support, they called me on my Phone and the gentleman at "Apple Support" then directed me to a website to 'disable the virus' but it was a 'free for first time' offer. This did not sound valid, but then I went through Apple Support so I am concerned!

19 replies

Apr 22, 2019 8:52 AM in response to Zhivago17

This phone number will put you through to the legitimate Apple Support:

(800)MYAPPLE

Never download Adobe Flash Player from anywhere except Official Adobe Website. Others are a scam and will install malware on your Mac. I suspect that is the problem you ran into. Also, Flash Player is no longer necessary as it has been replaced by HTML 5. There are very few sites that require it anymore.

I suggest you download and run Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Apr 22, 2019 9:29 AM in response to macjack

I had never used 800-MY-APPLE (thinking that it was a "sales" line - until I just tried it just now just for grins

It seems to be voice recognition system that "understands complete sentences" - nowadays anyway

When I said merely "Support" - "he" asked me to describe my problem "so that I may route you to the right technician"

so

apparently a voice version of the Contact Support web TRIAGE ;-)

Apr 22, 2019 9:45 AM in response to babowa

Good to know...

I have only talked with Apple Support 6 times since 1989 when I started using Macs. The last time (started from Contact Support link) was about an issue when I began participating here in ASC and could not get my old Apple ID/ASCmember ID to work right and needed to get in contact with the Hosts. It took SIX transfers (higher "tier" each time) until I finally was speaking with a "Senior Engineer" - he could not find an email address OR internal phone number for Hosts anywhere on the internal network - a co-worker had the number on a Sticky Note in his desk drawer = he transferred me to the Hosts = SEVEN call transfers

legitimate phone number for Apple Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.