Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why the audio files do not fit perfectly on the grid? is there a way to quantize audio files?

why the audio files do not fit perfectly on the grid? is there a way to quantize audio files?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 8:57 AM

Your complaint is not justified, because they do and they can, if you only know how to set it so that they do. You see, audio should be free. Only in techno-oriented programs such as frooty loops or Ableton or purely grid-based programs should they automatically snap to the grid, but in an allround recording program like logic it doesn't make sernse to have audio files snap to anything - they must align with what they are recorded with, and in the case of a singer or a player of any live instrument the audio should be recorded exactly at the time it was played, and it should not be moving anywhere afterwards, unless you, the user, explicitly tell it to move.

The grid is primairily for MIDI. However, there are several ways to make audio regions snap to the grid, using the snap settings.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcpf7c0f66a

Software is not some kind of autopiloty thing that does everything for you by majjickally reading your mind. You must in fact "operate" it, control it, tell it what to do. It is not some sort of magic (even though, in a way, it is).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2019 8:57 AM in response to marcoo7o7o7

Your complaint is not justified, because they do and they can, if you only know how to set it so that they do. You see, audio should be free. Only in techno-oriented programs such as frooty loops or Ableton or purely grid-based programs should they automatically snap to the grid, but in an allround recording program like logic it doesn't make sernse to have audio files snap to anything - they must align with what they are recorded with, and in the case of a singer or a player of any live instrument the audio should be recorded exactly at the time it was played, and it should not be moving anywhere afterwards, unless you, the user, explicitly tell it to move.

The grid is primairily for MIDI. However, there are several ways to make audio regions snap to the grid, using the snap settings.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/#/lgcpf7c0f66a

Software is not some kind of autopiloty thing that does everything for you by majjickally reading your mind. You must in fact "operate" it, control it, tell it what to do. It is not some sort of magic (even though, in a way, it is).

Apr 26, 2019 10:38 AM in response to Eriksimon

I thank you for the answer. anyway, I meant that if I add an audio file like a clap or a hi hat I never put it in the arrangement area (I called it the grid I don't know if it's right to call it that). however I meant that if I implore them and decide where to put them at least not to widen the view at most I never put them precise but always puts them a little ahead or a little back. I apologize if it's badly written using google translate. I sincerely hope you will answer me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.