Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV with Ethernet

I have an apple tv 2 and a 4. My smart tv is across the room from the apple tv so I need to hard wire the two together. I have an htmi to ethernet converter but what cat of ethernet cable do I need to use?

Posted on Apr 26, 2019 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 10:09 PM

Thanks vazandrew. I see Jaycar sell a 20m boosted HDMI cable. I think the wifi to the Apple TV is good as the one I have (I've got two) that is directly connected to a tv is fine.

Ill get a second mortgage and buy a long HTMI cable! 😆😆😎

6 replies

Apr 26, 2019 11:25 PM in response to FlyerFrankie

Thanks for the responses. The problem is the tv is on a wall across the room from where I can place the Apple TV so unless I can get a 20m HTMI to take across the loft, I need to change from HDMI to Ethernet, run an Ethernet cable across the loft and then change from Ethernet back to HDMI to connect to the tv. Unless there's a different type of cable I can use to cross the room with?

currently I have a wireless system connecting the two devices, but it's not fast enough and the Apple TV films are jerky.

Any ideas?

also, I have a cat 5 cable between the two devices that used to supply the devices with the internet. I now use wifi and tried connecting through the cable, but don't get anything at the tv.

Apr 27, 2019 10:18 PM in response to FlyerFrankie

No problem. Above you had mentioned that you had issues with streaming over the wifi connection and the more distance there is between Apple TV and router the more there is a chance that there will be issues like interference. You can go with wifi but if you do encounter issues then you would need to try Ethernet or do some further troubleshooting.

Apple TV with Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.