Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The AirPods are hurting my ears

The design of the AirPods is hurting my ears. The outer shell is scratching, bruising and cutting my ear canals. They don’t fit properly in my ears and when I try to fix their position to fix the sound quality, they end up hurting me. I have to spend up to 3 or 4 days without them to allow my skin to heal. It gets so bad for some people that they get ear bleeding. Apple designed these for 90% of people’s ears, but my friend and I, as well as so many people on the Internet with my same problem, are in the last 10%. Before the AirPods, I had a few different wireless earphones with the rubber cone tips, but they weren’t true wireless, they had a cable to synchronise the 2 earphones and connect them to the battery, but they never last very long with me and my subconscious habit of twirling things around my fingers while I think. Such is the fate for the countless amount of wired earphones I’ve had. I love the AirPods, their accessibility and that they’re true wireless, but they still hurt my ear canals. All of the countless wired earphones I’ve had over the years have all had silicon tips, and then I found out that the first generation of the EarPods were in the same style, the In Ear earphones that Apple brought out but discontinued because of the amount of complaints.

Is it possible to design the AirPods 3.0 after the rubber tipped earphone style. The hard edges and the single size of the AirPods seems to be what is hurting my ear canals, whereas the rubber tips of in the In-Ear earphones provide padding to the skin, and with the lack of hard edges inside the ear my ears have never been hurt by this style. This would also allow users to customise their AirPod colour and size to fit their ears. Some people have complained that the AirPods don’t seal in the ear, so the sound quality is reduced. The rubber tips will also help to seal the ears and boost the sound quality.

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 1:28 AM

yeah, i know. i've used one style of the silicon skins, but the silicon just stretches after 1 use and it doesn't stay on the earphone. i've also used foam earphone pads, but they didn't stop the earphones from scratching and they decreased the sound quality. they made my right airpod feel and sound dull and quiet

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2019 1:28 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

yeah, i know. i've used one style of the silicon skins, but the silicon just stretches after 1 use and it doesn't stay on the earphone. i've also used foam earphone pads, but they didn't stop the earphones from scratching and they decreased the sound quality. they made my right airpod feel and sound dull and quiet

The AirPods are hurting my ears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.