Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi mode locked out and disabled

Overnight our iPhone's wifi mode has been disabled. The wifi toggle button in the settings is disabled and turning the iPhone on and off does nothing. Any ideas why?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 9:51 AM

Perform a reset network settings procedure:

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, keeping in mind that this procedure also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before, but NO other data is affected.

If the issue still persists, it could be a hardware failure (wifi antenna?). Have your iphone inspected at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider: Apple – Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2019 9:51 AM in response to RCFOTO

Perform a reset network settings procedure:

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, keeping in mind that this procedure also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before, but NO other data is affected.

If the issue still persists, it could be a hardware failure (wifi antenna?). Have your iphone inspected at an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider: Apple – Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

Apr 27, 2019 9:48 AM in response to RCFOTO

Is the phone fully charged or connected to the charger?

Try Some Troubleshooting?

1. Restart:  Press On/Off button until the Slide to Power Off slider appears, select Slide to Power Off and, after It shuts down, press the On/Off button until the Apple logo appears.
  2. Reset:  Press the Home and On/Off buttons at the same time and hold them until the Apple logo appears (about 10-15 seconds).
  3. Restore:  Connect your iPhone to iTunes on your computer, backup, and then select Restore to Factory. If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple.

For help with the above on later models, including iPhone 7, 7s, 8 or later, iPad Pro 11" and iPad Pro 12.9" models, please refer to If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen.

If all else fails then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. If you did not purchase it from Apple then you will need to look to the vendor for service or How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Apr 29, 2019 2:22 PM in response to ProustGiulio

That's what I was afraid might be the problem. But it looks like all is back to normal. After taking the iphone out of its protective case, I noticed some moisture on the back so I placed in in some desiccant and after a couple of hours it was back to normal. The culprit appears to have been a desk humidifier that was too close to my phone the night before. I do have an appointment with the Genius Bar next Monday just in case the problem resurfaces this week. Thanks for the reply!

Wifi mode locked out and disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.