Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect different MIDI keyboards or controllers to the same setup

Hello to everybody,

Is there a way to setup Mainstage 3 so that no matter what keyboard is connected it works without needing any further adjustments?

For example, use keyboard A in studio and keyboard B or C in an other place, with same concert setup. What I really need to keep in common with different keyboards are just 3 pedals (sunstain, 2nd controller, expression) and usual modulation and pitch wheels.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 9:10 PM

Lifenoise, I gotta say that’s a very clever workaround i.e. multiple

devices having the same name. I’m currently using Plogue Bidule to route multiple devices to a single Bidule output, just to achieve what you’ve done by renaming devices. Very clever.

On a a related note: why do you have devices connected to each other in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility? What does that do, and how did you configure that setup?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 9:10 PM in response to lifenoise

Lifenoise, I gotta say that’s a very clever workaround i.e. multiple

devices having the same name. I’m currently using Plogue Bidule to route multiple devices to a single Bidule output, just to achieve what you’ve done by renaming devices. Very clever.

On a a related note: why do you have devices connected to each other in the Audio/MIDI Setup utility? What does that do, and how did you configure that setup?

Apr 30, 2019 3:54 PM in response to lifenoise

Thanks a lot lifenoise for your kind and prompt reply.

I am at entry level with MainStage application and that's probably the reason why I am not sure to have got your point.

This is a screenshot of my MIDI studio:

my idea is to connect and play with Nord Stage 2 in studio and with Studiologic SL88 or Casio at home by same concert setup. Do you mean I have just to rename for example the Studiologic as Nord Stage 2? Then MainStage will recognise the different keyboards just as the same one?

In the next days I will give it a try and going a bit more in deep with MIDI studio configuration.

Cheers.

May 1, 2019 4:35 AM in response to Madddcow

Connecting devices just helps to clarify the routing. When I first started using Audio MIDI Setup, I thought it was more relevant. When I create a new external device (by clicking the + button in the task bar) and connect it to the actual USB/MIDI device that's physically connected to the Mac, I can see the actual name of the keyboard I'm currently using. You'll notice in screen shot 1, hovering over the USB/MIDI device shows the original device name. You can see at a glance what is connected by renaming the new external device. I realize my previous post was not clear. I've been using this method so long that I hadn't given much thought to a logical explanation. I need to update my external device names.

Connect different MIDI keyboards or controllers to the same setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.