Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder with a question mark flashing. Is it possiable I erased my harddrive what do I do?

I'm super frustrated, I'm not to sure if I deleted my harddrive this all started when my computer was saying I was running out of storage space and then I put it in disk mode and I think I might have deleted my harddrive I can't reinstall el captain it won t let me. What can I do the folder with the question mark keeps showing up everytime I restart it. Please tell me I didn't erase it.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2019 7:20 PM

Hold the option key and reboot—see if it will allow you to select /re-select your Macintosh HD to boot.

About the screens your Mac displays as it starts up - Apple Support

If no success Reboot int Recovery—follow this article for more inf0:

If a flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2019 7:20 PM in response to brandonfrom Regina

Hold the option key and reboot—see if it will allow you to select /re-select your Macintosh HD to boot.

About the screens your Mac displays as it starts up - Apple Support

If no success Reboot int Recovery—follow this article for more inf0:

If a flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

Apr 29, 2019 9:16 AM in response to brandonfrom Regina

If it won't boot into the Recovery Partition, try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Folder with a question mark flashing. Is it possiable I erased my harddrive what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.