You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing between primary and secondary lines for SMS - IPhone Xr

Am having iPhone Xr and actually facing a problem in the SMS section when i want to change between the 2 lines am having while sending a message in an existing chat.

So for example when am sending messages to a specific contact using my primary line and then i want to change it to the secondary line to same contact , when i click the name of sender and then info, i find "Using primary for this conversation" which is not changeable by any means !

Having the option to swap between primary and secondary lines to send message from is only available while sending new message to a new contact who i don't have any previous conversation with.

Thanks

Tamer

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 6:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 7:58 AM

Partly right.

True

Option to change between Primary and Secondary lines for messages is available only for NEW messages

If you start from an existing conversation, you cannot change the line

False

Even if you have had previous conversation with a contact you can change line

Start by changing from Primary to Secondary first or Vice Versa

• Use Primary as your default line: If you select this option, Primary will be used by default for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Secondary will be available just for voice and SMS.
  • Use Secondary as your default line: If you select this option, Secondary will be used for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Primary will be available just for voice and SMS.
  • Use Secondary for cellular data only: You might want to select this option if you're traveling internationally and you want to keep Primary for voice, SMS, iMessage, and FaceTime. This will allow you to use Secondary for data.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 29, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Timoo86

Partly right.

True

Option to change between Primary and Secondary lines for messages is available only for NEW messages

If you start from an existing conversation, you cannot change the line

False

Even if you have had previous conversation with a contact you can change line

Start by changing from Primary to Secondary first or Vice Versa

• Use Primary as your default line: If you select this option, Primary will be used by default for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Secondary will be available just for voice and SMS.
  • Use Secondary as your default line: If you select this option, Secondary will be used for voice, SMS, Data, iMessage, and FaceTime. Primary will be available just for voice and SMS.
  • Use Secondary for cellular data only: You might want to select this option if you're traveling internationally and you want to keep Primary for voice, SMS, iMessage, and FaceTime. This will allow you to use Secondary for data.

Apr 29, 2019 7:57 AM in response to Timoo86

On models with Dual SIM, tap iMessage & FaceTime Line, then choose a line. You can register only one of your phone numbers for iMessage and FaceTime. Your other number can’t send or receive messages using iMessage, or make or receive FaceTime calls.

Set up iMessage and SMS/MMS on iPhone

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Changing between primary and secondary lines for SMS - IPhone Xr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.