Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage only sends compressed (blurry / small) images / videos in iMessage since iOS 12.2 (AT&T)

Ever since updating iOS to 12.2 my image / video attachments sent via iMessage from my phone are sent compressed, tiny and blurry. The problem is only when using cell data. The images send perfectly when on wifi.

Yes, we are talking blue imessages amongst fellow iphones (not MMS). And also yes, "Low Quality Image Mode" is off.

I have found 2 reddit threads and 1 macrumors forum discussing this same problem. I cannot find a solution anywhere. Seems to be an AT&T issue. Maybe related to the new "5Ge" which people are calling fake.

Someone help please!

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/b7wq11/ios_122_imessage_compressing_videogifs_when_on/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-2-beta-all-photos-i-send-to-people-are-blurry.2173156/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/baxuth/imessage_in_122_compressing_imagesvideo_when_on/

*edit* also posted on the at&t forum:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/iMessage-only-sends-compressed-blurry-small-images-videos-in/m-p/5870366/highlight/true#M313997

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Apr 29, 2019 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 7:23 AM

SravanKra, none of these conditions you describe are the issue. We are talking about using an AT&T unlimited plus plan. At any point of the month (only used 1 gb of data so far, nowhere near where they start throttling).

Just did a speed test, currently getting 63 Mbps down, 50 Mbps up with full bars in Los Angeles. Fast!

This is is a widespread issue amongst AT&T users since iOS 12.2. A lot of user don’t notice the issue because you need to check from the receiver’s end to see the bad quality images / video.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 7:23 AM in response to SravanKrA

SravanKra, none of these conditions you describe are the issue. We are talking about using an AT&T unlimited plus plan. At any point of the month (only used 1 gb of data so far, nowhere near where they start throttling).

Just did a speed test, currently getting 63 Mbps down, 50 Mbps up with full bars in Los Angeles. Fast!

This is is a widespread issue amongst AT&T users since iOS 12.2. A lot of user don’t notice the issue because you need to check from the receiver’s end to see the bad quality images / video.

May 11, 2019 1:56 PM in response to James Tilton2

I found a solution!!!

I switched carriers. And guess what!? Lo and behold this exact problem is FIXED! No more pixelated photos and videos. Apparently AT&T rolled over the 5GE prematurely. But how am I supposed to get the best of my $1249 iPhone XS Max if the network *****?! 13 years of service with AT&T and they lost me over this terrible 5G rollout.

I switched to T-Mobile and I’m happy as a bug. Saved almost $100 on my monthly payments too!

Apr 30, 2019 1:05 AM in response to James Tilton2

If your cellular service (Carrier Plan) does not have internet (Data Plan) then it will use SMS over voice line and of course it will be compressed.

It may also so happen that your internet speed is very slow and transmitting large data becomes nearly impossible and it will give you an option to send it via text if you choose text it will be sent over voice line as compressed.

iMessage is sent over internet protocol

SMS/MMS is sent over voice lines

To avoid compressed images being sent use good data plan, network and carrier service provider.

May 4, 2019 11:25 PM in response to James Tilton2

hey James I just upgraded to iPhone XS Max and you nailed my exact problem. I was on the phone with apple support for over an hour and they screen shared checked all my settings and they said everything should be “fine” and all they said nothing is wrong with the phone it’s “user error” and that “people sending you the videos and photos do not know how to properly take photos” I was in disbelief! They couldn’t give me a straight answer. Until later I figured myself it’s the network. I live in Vegas and I also have ATT unlimited data plan first net which is for first responders and supposedly an uninterruptible line. When I use the 5G sending photos and videos are always blurry and poor quality. But when I switch to WiFi it’s crystal clear. I feel like this upgrade I just did is more like a downgrade. Thinking of switching back to iPhone 7plus lol that never once gave me a problem lol.

Would appreciate any one who can fix this problem. It’s very annoying!

iMessage only sends compressed (blurry / small) images / videos in iMessage since iOS 12.2 (AT&T)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.