UNABLE to send SMS or MMS media to NON- iPhone users.

Suddenly, over the past two months as of this post(summer 2023), my iPhone 12 pro max (version 16.5.1) has been unable to consistently send sms photos to non iPhone users. Virtually every sms video will not send. I have followed all recommendations for fixes. Steps taken: SMS/MMS messaging is on, Network Connection verified on. Cell reception connected, wifi connected. Also tried toggling iMessage on/off to send pics to non iPhone users. Still doesn’t work. Seems like some sort of bug after the ios16*** versions. Advice Anyone?

Please fix this apple!

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 4:45 PM

PROBLEM- “unable to send message” SOLVED- Bug found

CAUSE- “Preservation Settings”

REASON- Due to extended lag in media processing sms media after taking pictures

• Although texts showed “unable to send message” sms users on the receiving end actually were getting the media.
  • (Once processing had finished, this did not show on my phone that it send)

Update: I found the issue myself after performing all other troubleshooting failed. It’s a bug that will need to be further reviewed by apple for exact details. Timing of issue make me think that this was related to an update a few months ago or possibly related to memory and/ or age degradation from my 12promax. (It was a pre-order first edition of the 12promax release).

FIX- Unfortunately the only way I could fix this was turning “OFF” all preservation settings for camera photos.

If you also have this bug please report it to Apple and maybe they will do something about it. I’d like to fully use my camera.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2023 4:45 PM in response to Matt3lynn

PROBLEM- “unable to send message” SOLVED- Bug found

CAUSE- “Preservation Settings”

REASON- Due to extended lag in media processing sms media after taking pictures

• Although texts showed “unable to send message” sms users on the receiving end actually were getting the media.
  • (Once processing had finished, this did not show on my phone that it send)

Update: I found the issue myself after performing all other troubleshooting failed. It’s a bug that will need to be further reviewed by apple for exact details. Timing of issue make me think that this was related to an update a few months ago or possibly related to memory and/ or age degradation from my 12promax. (It was a pre-order first edition of the 12promax release).

FIX- Unfortunately the only way I could fix this was turning “OFF” all preservation settings for camera photos.

If you also have this bug please report it to Apple and maybe they will do something about it. I’d like to fully use my camera.

Jun 29, 2023 12:27 AM in response to Matt3lynn

1. For iPhone to Apple Devices --> Activate iMessage
  2. For sending (iPhone to non-Apple Devices )
    1. Photos/Videos/Files--> Get MMS enabled by your Carrier. Apple Inc does not provide MMS services.
    2. Texts - Get an SMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.

To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number

First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled at least for One SMS*** with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you

If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One SMS*** Only)

If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...

*** You may not have an SMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.

You need MMS enabled by your carrier. and in your Settings. See the Pic below

UNABLE to send SMS or MMS media to NON- iPhone users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.