Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text/photo messaging with Android users

I bought an iPhone 11 just last year (new). Since the 14.1 update, I’m unable to send or receive pictures (and sometimes text only!) with Android users. I never had this issue in the past, and I have done all the obvious troubleshooting; both SMS and MMS is turned “on”, and I have shut my phone down completely and rebooted. I have also been in touch with my service provider, T-Mobile, also unable to resolve the issue, checking the same things I had. Their tech support also had me “reset” the phone, to no avail. I AM able to send and receive with NO issues on Messenger. Help!

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 8:22 AM

The "Send as SMS" is meant only when you are unable to send iMessage. That settings does not activate or deactivate SMS. If you have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use then you can send SMS in the absence of iMessage else no.

Similarly, if you have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use then you can send SMS to Android users otherwise no.

You may not have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services nor can it be enabled or disabled on an iPhone.

This necessarily have to be enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you are using.

Send SMS/MMS | Email & Messaging | iPhone 12 - T-Mobile

T-Mobile Internet and MMS settings: Apple iPhone

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 8:22 AM in response to Pajoamda

The "Send as SMS" is meant only when you are unable to send iMessage. That settings does not activate or deactivate SMS. If you have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use then you can send SMS in the absence of iMessage else no.

Similarly, if you have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use then you can send SMS to Android users otherwise no.

You may not have an SMS plan enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services nor can it be enabled or disabled on an iPhone.

This necessarily have to be enabled by your Carrier for the SIM that you are using.

Send SMS/MMS | Email & Messaging | iPhone 12 - T-Mobile

T-Mobile Internet and MMS settings: Apple iPhone

Nov 3, 2022 8:33 AM in response to Pajoamda

Have you tried resetting your network settings? Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Reset Network Settings. The only thing you'll lose is saved WiFi passwords.

But, in the end, this is a TMobile issue. You'll need to keep escalating the matter with them. Keep in mind that, even if you select "tech support" when you call them, the first person you'll be connected to is a customer service agent with a bit more training and a set of scripts. They're goal is to get you off the phone as quickly as possible. You'll need to keep insisting on getting moved to Tier 2 tech or whatever TMobile calls it.

Text/photo messaging with Android users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.