Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unwanted duplicate contact groups in iCloud

I have been trying unsuccessfully to remove the thousands of DUPLICATE CONTACT GROUPS from my

devices. I've turned off CONTACTS ICLOUD on my iPad/iphone and my home mac's (two iMacs, MBP, and Mini); when I log into iCloud with Safari I see the hundreds or thousands of duplicate GROUPS in

Contacts (they were all showing up on my devices until I turned off iCloud for Contacts.

I've read many google searches regarding duplicate contact groups without much inspiration or help.

Today I called Apple support (case 20000049623525  ) and the technical lady ; after trying to share/view failed; basically said I had to delete each duplicate group manually one at a time on iCloud. The web iCloud contacts app only allows one group deletion at at time (10-15 seconds). I do not have enough time left on earth to fix this. I'll just leave iCloud Contacts disable across all my devices and abandon this use of iCloud. Im very disappointed that there apparently is no solution to this (seems there are others with this issue) problem. Usually my experience with Apple support is good; USUALLY.

I'll keep searching periodically for a solution; but in the mean time I'll be keeping my Christmas list, neighborhood list on my windows pc. This contacts GROUP function on iCloud is broken for me.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 9:39 AM

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly or perhaps you need to review my original post.

I DO NOT have duplicate contacts. I have Duplicate contact GROUPS; thousands of them; currently in

iCloud only; They no longer appear on my devices since I've disconnected them from iCloud.

Thanks for trying to help;

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 9:39 AM in response to tygb

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly or perhaps you need to review my original post.

I DO NOT have duplicate contacts. I have Duplicate contact GROUPS; thousands of them; currently in

iCloud only; They no longer appear on my devices since I've disconnected them from iCloud.

Thanks for trying to help;

Apr 30, 2019 9:35 AM in response to DrMemory99

You have signed in with same Apple ID and password in the iOS devices and Mac , and what ever contacts / might be duplicate contacts are there are syncing .

You can sign out from iCloud account in an iOS devices so that syncing stops .

Then archive the iCloud contacts in Mac for a safer side so all you contact data is saved see this article https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2671?locale=en_US

And then delete duplicate contacts or merge them see this article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203565

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12079?locale=en_US

After that when all are sorted import the contacts once again in the address book of your Mac see this article https://support.apple.com/kb/ph3605?locale=en_US

Apr 30, 2019 9:00 AM in response to tygb

Yes I know there is no way to remove unwanted duplicate groups on iCloud except one at a time.; That's why I called apple support. I dont have enough time left on this planet to delete the thousands of duplicate groups in my iCloud Contact (one by one).

This response and Apples tech support was no help.

I have disconnected my two IOS devices and 4 Apple OS devices contacts from iCloud; and will just abandon in place the iCloud. contacts. and deal with mixed contacts across my devices.

Apr 30, 2019 9:58 AM in response to DrMemory99

Groups that are thousands in numbers won't be created by you , as a Mac user they will create only few groups ( in case the groups are having same name they can be deleted ) , I don't know how the groups created in huge numbers and only contacts are synced and groups never , even you signed in with same Apple ID and password on all apple devices .

unwanted duplicate contact groups in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.