Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.14.4 update crippled my wifes 2012 i5 macbook pro

I was able to install this update on my 15" 2012 I7, and my daughters 13" 2012 I7 with no issues. The Mrs. is the least tech savvy so I did hers last, and the update took 32 hours to run its course! afterwards the laptop runs painfully slow.

I've been trying everything I can think of except for a full tear down. First I removed the HD ribbon cable and booted the SSD from a USB Caddy (=No Luck). Next, I swapped the RAM (=No Luck), after that, (I had prior to the update ordered) installed a 16 Gig ram upgrade, and replaced the HD ribbon cable. I also tried installing to a "fresh" 250 SSD, with no luck.

here's the specs ;

MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Startup Disk 500 Gig SSD

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

MacOS 10.14.4

Any pro's out there who can steer me in the right direction?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2019 12:40 PM

askomer wrote:
the update took 32 hours to run its course! afterwards the laptop runs painfully slow.

This was a 10.14.4 update not a 10.14 upgrade—

You can try Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update -

Apple Support https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?locale=pt_BR

and re-install this combo on top of your existing macOS

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2019 12:40 PM in response to askomer

askomer wrote:
the update took 32 hours to run its course! afterwards the laptop runs painfully slow.

This was a 10.14.4 update not a 10.14 upgrade—

You can try Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update -

Apple Support https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?locale=pt_BR

and re-install this combo on top of your existing macOS

Apr 30, 2019 11:37 AM in response to askomer

askomer wrote:

I was able to install this update on my 15" 2012 I7,

I've been trying everything I can think of except for a full tear down.

First I removed the HD ribbon cable and booted the SSD from a USB Caddy (=No Luck). Next, I swapped the RAM (=No Luck), after that, (I had prior to the update ordered) installed a 16 Gig ram upgrade, and replaced the HD ribbon cable. I also tried installing to a "fresh" 250 SSD, with no luck.
here's the specs ;
MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012)
Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Startup Disk 500 Gig SSD
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
MacOS 10.14.4

Any pro's out there who can steer me in the right direction?

<etre report.log>

I do not know what this is "I also tried installing to a "fresh" 250 SSD,"

• System Load: 79.55 (1 min ago) 83.37 (5 min ago) 123.02 (15 min ago) Nominal I/O speed: 1.16 MB/s
  • File system: 121.40 seconds (timed out)
  • Write speed: 83 MB/s
  • Read speed: 120 MB/s

What I see going no further—drive is failing in a big way.

etrecheck.com Runtime: 66:18

Back up all your data. Replace the drive with a SDD

OWC SSD Upgrade Kits For MacBook Pro 2012 - MacSales.com

Apr 30, 2019 11:38 AM in response to askomer

It jumps out to me that you are launching a lot of apps/extensions on startup. You are also, it appears, launching Parallels. Parallels likely has RAM allocated to it so you have a reduced amount of RAM available for your MacOS.

And as already said, your drive is failing.

Try booting in safe mode to see if performance improves. It will take some time to boot in safe mode.

Apr 30, 2019 11:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

the data is backed up file by file ( I retrieved the data by plugging her ssd into my laptop via usb cradle), unfortunately not via time machine.

The existing (original drive) is a 500 Gigabyte (Crucial- brand) Solid State Drive.

I do not know what this is "I also tried installing to a "fresh" 250 SSD,"

EXPLAINED;

I installed a new, blank 250 Gigabyte Solid State Drive. And tried to install a clean, newly downloaded copy (from the App Store) of Macos 10.14 Mojave.

Apr 30, 2019 12:33 PM in response to leroydouglas

I appreciate your thoroughness ( I honestly do) however, I'm Not a noob, I've been working on Macs since the powerPC and bronze probook era. I'm just stuck with this problem and I AM a noob with "ETRE" reporting software and wonder if anything stands out in the report to suggest a processor or mainboard failure.

I formatted the drive using the Macos disk utility prior to installing the OS (and checked to make sure the power cord was plugged in ;)).

10.14.4 update crippled my wifes 2012 i5 macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.