Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last line no longer available

Just got this error message today, wondering if Apple will fix this issue or is the only solution to delete the recent list?

iPhone XS

Posted on May 1, 2019 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2019 8:20 PM

This is a documented problem with the iPhone Xs (see the links below). It occurs randomly, after you make a phone call. The next call you make gives you the message (below). It's been posted for months. Apparently, the only "solution" is to delete your entire recent calls list. That's not a solution, that's a BAD work-around. And it can recur.

When is Apple going to do something about it? Can we hear from Apple on this?

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=last+line+no+longer+available

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOS12/comments/9ibk6l/ios_121_last_line_no_longer_available/

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2019 8:20 PM in response to sberman

This is a documented problem with the iPhone Xs (see the links below). It occurs randomly, after you make a phone call. The next call you make gives you the message (below). It's been posted for months. Apparently, the only "solution" is to delete your entire recent calls list. That's not a solution, that's a BAD work-around. And it can recur.

When is Apple going to do something about it? Can we hear from Apple on this?

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=last+line+no+longer+available

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOS12/comments/9ibk6l/ios_121_last_line_no_longer_available/

May 2, 2019 8:57 PM in response to lorna198

I appreciate seeing your bullet points above, as they certainly help clarify the situation.

My educated guess is your last bullet (purchasing in Toronto, but using in the U.S. with Verizon) is the culprit. Yes, you may well have done this unscathed in the past, but dual SIM hasn't been around long. And I assume you already know that if your iPhone needs service or repair by Apple, it would have to be performed in Canada.

I don't know exactly how iPhones are sold in Canada, but I'm guessing there was some association with a Canadian cellular carrier when you purchased the iPhone, and it was likely sold as an unlocked device (unlocked to that carrier).

You can try contacting Apple Support if you wish.

Contact - Official Apple Support

May 2, 2019 4:34 AM in response to sberman

Thanks for the brain cycles on this.

• No dual carrier display in Control Center
  • In settings, yes there is Add Cellular Plan. When I select it, I'm supposed to scan a QR code or manually enter in activation info from my 2nd carrier (those fields are all empty, but the option exists)
  • I'm the original owner of the phone, purchased, 4 weeks ago from Apple.
  • My only twist on the ball is that I purchased this phone in Toronto, but I activated it for my US Verizon account. I've done this with every phone I've owned in the past.

It's just an irritation, not an obstacle, but I'm extra irritated when I look online and see how many people have had this problem since the phone came out and it's been months and no fix. How do we get Apple's engagement - and a fix - on this?

May 3, 2019 6:23 AM in response to sberman

• None of my previous phones have been dual SIM capable (in fact, I've been watching N American dual SIM phones for years; pretty lame, compared to what's been available in the Asian markets. When it works well, it would be the perfect solution to my 2 countries, 2 suppliers, 2 phones problem. Perhaps the XS is my dual SIM solution - TBD)
  • I don't think the problem is the purchase in Toronto. Look at how many other people are having this problem. None of the postings I saw even mentioned that they were using this as a dual SIM phone - and nobody even knew what the error message referred to (Me too! Thanks for the education!)
  • The phone was new, from Apple, with no association with any carrier (was never locked to a carrier, therefore never unlocked). Been buying my phones that way for years. Greater expense, but greater flexibility during those years when unlocking was a problem. Now I buy phones direct from Apple because they have better maintenance plans (the "Stop giving me excuses, just fix it" plan)
  • Thanks for the Apple link. I'll post my question there.
  • Ready appreciate your time and knowledge!

May 1, 2019 9:23 PM in response to lorna198

lorna198 wrote:

Any idea what this means in a 1 SIM context??

No. But I wonder if something about your situation leads to some dual-SIM properties in your iPhone.

Here's one quick check: When you open Control Center, do you see something like the dual carrier display in the upper left here?

Similarly, when you go to Settings > Cellular, do you see "Add Cellular Plan" as if there is exactly one plan currently associated with this iPhone, or do you see something else indicating a possible second line?

Are you the original owner of this iPhone? Has it always been associated with the same unique telephone number with the same cellular carrier?

May 1, 2019 2:53 PM in response to lorna198

We have absolutely no context for your post.

"Last line..." where? In what setting? What are you doing?

If I had to guess, having received nearly no information, I would guess your iPhone's storage is full. Check Settings > General > iPhone Storage and be certain your free space never falls below 10% of the iPhone's total storage.

Last line no longer available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.