Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave hangs entering single-user mode

On my 2019 27" i9 iMac, I want to run fsck. Single-user mode begins normally. When it gets to this line:

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 575542533238323431343032 0x1058 0x25f6 0x1009, 3

it pauses a bit. Then comes:

pci pause: SDXC

000042.366096 wlan0.A[18] handleAdjustBusy@999:AdjustBusy timeout in 40000 ms!

Here I've tried letting it sit for several hours, but nothing happens. It's disappointing that a brand new computer misbehaves this way. Should I be concerned? Thanks for any insight!

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 1, 2019 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 10:49 AM

Rick Johnson3 wrote:

On my 2019 27" i9 iMac, I want to run fsck. Single-user mode begins normally. When it gets to this line:

USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): 575542533238323431343032 0x1058 0x25f6 0x1009, 3

Here I've tried letting it sit for several hours, but nothing happens. It's disappointing that a brand new computer misbehaves this way. Should I be concerned? Thanks for any insight!

What issue are you having to go to Single User mode?

From recovery you can use the Terminal and command line interface if this is what you need.

Recovery (command R on bootup) from the menu>Terminal

In an effort to resolve your question as posted—resolve Single User mode—

Try a SafeBoot  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-10 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

The Reboot as normal, reboot Single user mode and test.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2019 10:49 AM in response to Rick Johnson3

Rick Johnson3 wrote:

What issue are you having to go to Single User mode?

From recovery you can use the Terminal and command line interface if this is what you need.

Recovery (command R on bootup) from the menu>Terminal

In an effort to resolve your question as posted—resolve Single User mode—

Try a SafeBoot  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-10 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

The Reboot as normal, reboot Single user mode and test.

May 12, 2019 9:18 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the advice! I tried all of the things you suggested and all seem to indicate no problem, but the single-user hangup persists. I'd hoped single-user-mode fsck might be a solution rather than another symptom.

The specific behavior I'm trying to fix is that a new mirrored RAID drive (WD MyBook Duo) that I use for data mounts normally, but later reappears a second or third time as phantom drives. It's connected as USB-C in the Thunderbolt port. Another single USB WD drive works normally, but it's a single-disc model. The problem seems to have started after I got an eSATA-to-USB 3 cable for an older FireWire hard drive. When I don't use that cable, the problem doesn't happen, but there's at least a day or more from when I attach the cable to when the phantom drives appear, so it's difficult to establish a real cause-and-effect relationship. After 10 days without the cable, no phantom drives, so I'm back to FireWire for a while.

Still, with no external devices attached at all, single-user mode still hangs. At this point I'm inclined to wipe the SSD and reinstall the system to help prevent problems down the road. It's sure nice to have Time Machine backups!

May 12, 2019 10:36 AM in response to VikingOSX

That Western Digital drive software likely prompted you for your administrator password. It may or may not have installed a package receipt too. If it did, that will have the file path of every installed file in it.

Find the package receipt name:

pkgutil --pkgs | egrep -i "western|wd"

Find the list of file paths in that package receipt name (without the angle brackets):

pkgutil --files <package name> | more -r

May 12, 2019 10:51 AM in response to VikingOSX

This found "com.wdc.WDDesktop" and most of the file paths seem to be variants of "Library/Application Support/WDDesktop.app/Contents/PlugIns/WDDesktopFinderSync.appex"

Is this meaningful? I see Activity Monitor still shows:

WD Drive Manager Status Menu (though nothing shows in the menu bar)

WDDesktop Finder Extension

WDRAIDDriveService

WDTrashObserver

May 12, 2019 1:54 PM in response to Rick Johnson3

Yes, it would list every file inside the /Library/Application Support/WDDesktop.app which is likely that WDDesktop Finder Extension that is shown in Activity Monitor. Older WD software may also write a package receipt in another location, and that bill of materials (.bom) file may show other System installation locations.

You can just do the following to see if there is anything wd or western digital in there:

ls /private/var/db/receipts | more -r

If you find something, then you can list the full path of files that were installed (excluding angle brackets):

lsbom -pf /private/var/db/receipts/<receipt name.bom> | more -r

Mojave hangs entering single-user mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.