Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't want to see read receipts

How can I stop my phone from showing me if someone has read my messages without asking them to turn off their read receipts for me? Honestly I don't want to have anxiety about whether someone has read my text and hasn't replied yet. I'd rather not know and not worry about it, it is TMI.

Thank you!

iPhone 6, iOS 11

Posted on May 1, 2019 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2019 9:05 PM

You cannot regulate whether the read receipts are shown for iMessages. You can, as you know, regulate whether you send them.

You can turn iMessage off at Settings > Messages > iMessage, which would force all messages to be sent/received as SMS text messages, which cannot use read receipts.

Or you may choose to ignore the read receipts.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2019 9:05 PM in response to AvocadosYummy

You cannot regulate whether the read receipts are shown for iMessages. You can, as you know, regulate whether you send them.

You can turn iMessage off at Settings > Messages > iMessage, which would force all messages to be sent/received as SMS text messages, which cannot use read receipts.

Or you may choose to ignore the read receipts.

I don't want to see read receipts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.