Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing titles from Photos

I have added a title to a photo. Now I want to remove a title and replace it with another. I have already put a new title in but I see the old title remains. I have tried to erase it but it simply won't go away. What's the solution to this seemingly easy problem? Thanks.

Posted on May 2, 2019 9:24 AM

5 replies

May 2, 2019 12:23 PM in response to léonie

Here's what I mean, Léonie: The image below has a title saying beyond yosemite. I am easily able to change the title in Photos to something else. When I do I still see the old title when I click on Get Info. The new title and the old title appear. I simply want to remove the listing of the old title. Is the title I changed the same as what you call the filename? I added the name that appears (beyond yosemite) when I scanned the negative into my computer and can easily find it using Picasa and easily change the name in that program. Alas, Picasa is no longer supported by Google and may not work at all when the newest Mac OS comes down. It could be as you say that it is simply impossible remove the original title in Photos. I am disappointed if that is so. Thanks so much for your imput.

May 3, 2019 10:06 AM in response to sanhodo

What you're seeing in the Info pane is the Title on top and the File name underneath. The Title shows under the thumbnail so if you change the title it will show under the thumbnail and in the Info pane but the File Name will remain the same.

If you export the photo out of the library with the option to use the Title as the new file name the file name will change. Otherwise it will not.

May 2, 2019 11:00 AM in response to sanhodo

Are you asking about the title field or the filename you are seeing in the Finder?

When you type a title into the title field below the thumbnail or in the Info panel, the previous title should be changed to the new site. But this will not change the filename of the original image file. Photos will never change the name of the original file, if that is what you have been trying to do. To change the filename you have to export the photo with a new filename, then reimport it.

Removing titles from Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.