Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Defrag tool Mojave / APFS

yes i know, many people asked and many people said on the spot... oh wonder... you dont need to defrag.

but this is not about if its needed/not needed. this is about: is there actually a tool which can defrag APFS, like idefrag (which doesnt support APFS)? nothing else. (meaning please dont start to argue about its needed/not needed)

so if someone knows of a tool capable of defrag APFS please let me know.

thanks.

AK

Posted on May 2, 2019 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2019 1:27 PM

i asked for one specific thing and nothing else as i wrote above. and whats your answer?

ah... right. and if thats an attack on you, sorry, but i wrote clearly: i only want to know one think nothing else... i didnt ask about SSD, google or other things, did i?

but just for you again:

my issue is that im looking for a program capable of defraging APFS.

the correct solution (1) would be to find a program which is capable of doing so.

what is so difficult to understand on it?

another correct solution (2): there is none, as far as known.

fine.

anyway, this thread can be closed. i will look elsewhere.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2019 1:27 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

i asked for one specific thing and nothing else as i wrote above. and whats your answer?

ah... right. and if thats an attack on you, sorry, but i wrote clearly: i only want to know one think nothing else... i didnt ask about SSD, google or other things, did i?

but just for you again:

my issue is that im looking for a program capable of defraging APFS.

the correct solution (1) would be to find a program which is capable of doing so.

what is so difficult to understand on it?

another correct solution (2): there is none, as far as known.

fine.

anyway, this thread can be closed. i will look elsewhere.

May 2, 2019 12:50 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

• as i said above: dont start to argue about its needed/not needed

i asked if theres a tool someone knows of or not, and

• so if someone knows of a tool capable of defrag APFS please let me know.

and now think about your answer. is it maybe possible that i ask this question on purpose (and probably have already knowledge about SSDs and those things...?) and that i (probably) dont mind if (as you assume) i level out an SSD drive by defragging it?

I asked a question and you go down the way i asked not to do, therefore thanks for your answer, but its kind of useless for my purpose.

May 2, 2019 12:55 PM in response to apfelkiwi

These are public forums so our answers can be seen by less knowledgeable users throughout the world. If we were to recommend a tool a less knowledgeable user may use that recommendation inappropriately on their SSDs. If there is such a tool you can find it using Google or other search engine. This is not a tool review site but I'm sure you will find many reviews regarding defrag and SSD.

May 2, 2019 12:58 PM in response to apfelkiwi

apfelkiwi wrote:

yes i know, many people asked and many people said on the spot... oh wonder... you dont need to defrag.

but this is not about if its needed/not needed. this is about: is there actually a tool which can defrag APFS, like idefrag (which doesnt support APFS)? nothing else. (meaning please dont start to argue about its needed/not needed)
so if someone knows of a tool capable of defrag APFS please let me know.
thanks.
AK

If you don't like or refuse to accept the answers here:

Google : defrag APFS

May 2, 2019 1:13 PM in response to apfelkiwi

You sound like a poster who has an issue and you've figured out the solution, in this case do a defrag. So you came here seeking confirmation of your solution. When we did not confirm what you convinced yourself is the correct solution you attack the volunteers trying to help you.

Why don't you tell us what the real issue is and maybe we can suggest a solution other than defrag.

May 2, 2019 1:47 PM in response to apfelkiwi

Microsoft NTFS filesystems get fragmented, and Apple HFS+ and APFS filesystems do not. What does get fragmented on macOS is the Disk Catalog which is an index of pointers to every filesystem object on that drive. This is what historically Disk Warrior has "defragmented" on HFS+ partitions, and still cannot perform on APFS drives until Alsoft releases an APFS capable version.

Defrag tool Mojave / APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.