Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost/Stolen iPhone X

Is there a way a that a thief could unlock or restore my iPhone to factory settings while in lost mode and if so would there be any way for me to tell if that had happened my password was more complicated so I don't believe they could have unlocked it and it still shows the phone as offline. is there anything more that I can do to try and find my phone

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on May 3, 2019 3:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2019 3:54 PM

If Your iDevice Is Lost Or Stolen

If you activated Find My Phone before it was lost or stolen, you can track it only when it is connected to the Internet by Wi-Fi or cellular. What you cannot do is track your device using a serial number or other identifying numbers. Neither Apple nor anyone else can find your device. You cannot recover your loss unless you ensure your device for such loss. It is not covered by your warranty.

If your iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, or iPad is lost or stolen what do you do? There are things you should have done in advance - before you lost it or it was stolen - and some things to do after the fact. Here are some suggestions

1. Reporting a lost or stolen Apple product

2. Find my lost iPod Touch

3. AT&T. Sprint, and Verizon can block stolen phones/tablets

4. What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen

5. iCloud- Use Lost Mode

6. What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

7. 6 Ways to Track and Recover Your Lost/Stolen iPhone

8. Find My iPhone

9. Report Stolen iPad | Stolen Lost Found Online

It pays to be proactive by following the advice on using Find My Phone before you lose your device:

1. Find My iPhone

2. Setup your iDevice on iCloud

3. OS X Lion/Mountain Lion- About Find My Mac

4. How To Set Up Free Find Your iPhone (Even on Unsupported Devices)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2019 3:54 PM in response to wagelmybagel

If Your iDevice Is Lost Or Stolen

If you activated Find My Phone before it was lost or stolen, you can track it only when it is connected to the Internet by Wi-Fi or cellular. What you cannot do is track your device using a serial number or other identifying numbers. Neither Apple nor anyone else can find your device. You cannot recover your loss unless you ensure your device for such loss. It is not covered by your warranty.

If your iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, or iPad is lost or stolen what do you do? There are things you should have done in advance - before you lost it or it was stolen - and some things to do after the fact. Here are some suggestions

1. Reporting a lost or stolen Apple product

2. Find my lost iPod Touch

3. AT&T. Sprint, and Verizon can block stolen phones/tablets

4. What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen

5. iCloud- Use Lost Mode

6. What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

7. 6 Ways to Track and Recover Your Lost/Stolen iPhone

8. Find My iPhone

9. Report Stolen iPad | Stolen Lost Found Online

It pays to be proactive by following the advice on using Find My Phone before you lose your device:

1. Find My iPhone

2. Setup your iDevice on iCloud

3. OS X Lion/Mountain Lion- About Find My Mac

4. How To Set Up Free Find Your iPhone (Even on Unsupported Devices)

May 3, 2019 4:06 PM in response to wagelmybagel

Is there a way a that a thief could unlock or restore my iPhone to factory settings while in lost mode

Possibly.

If you had enabled Find My P{hone, then no.

To enable Lost Mode, you either add a passcode or use an existing one. They can bypass that by restoring the device using iTunes.

They would not be able to defeat Activation Lock however. And that's only on when Find My Phone is enabled.

lost/Stolen iPhone X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.