Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to have two mac os systems on my imac

I bought a new imac with Mojave. I want to have the option to use El Capitan for some older apps.

Can I make a partition that is bootable in El Capitan? Mojave is saying I can't install El Capitan on a partition.

How would I have the option to boot up in El Capitan and still use Mojave when I want to?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2019 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2019 2:46 PM

New iMacs cannot run any macOS system earlier than the version with which it came pre-installed. El Capitan cannot be booted on your new iMac, so you will not be permitted to install it on a connected volume.

If running El Capitan was important to you, then you should not have bought a new iMac, and you should have kept your old computer so you would maintain compatibility with El Capitan.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2019 2:46 PM in response to Eric Goddard

New iMacs cannot run any macOS system earlier than the version with which it came pre-installed. El Capitan cannot be booted on your new iMac, so you will not be permitted to install it on a connected volume.

If running El Capitan was important to you, then you should not have bought a new iMac, and you should have kept your old computer so you would maintain compatibility with El Capitan.

How to have two mac os systems on my imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.