Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple operating systems on a 2019 27" iMac

I have a 2019 27" iMac 19.1 with 2TB fusion drive running Mojave 10.14.6

What is the best method and setup to install a second selectable operating system Ie. any OS above 10.14.

I have bootable install OS's on USB go all from 10.13 to 10.17.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:09 PM

First: how have you managed to run Mojave on a 2019 iMac? For as far as I know Apple does not support downgrading (and a 2019 machine came with Catalina or Big Sur)

For the 2 operating systems on one disk you should partition your disk

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

and install the other operating system (for a 2019 machine that can run up to monterey) on the partition you created

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 3:09 PM in response to logic79

First: how have you managed to run Mojave on a 2019 iMac? For as far as I know Apple does not support downgrading (and a 2019 machine came with Catalina or Big Sur)

For the 2 operating systems on one disk you should partition your disk

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

and install the other operating system (for a 2019 machine that can run up to monterey) on the partition you created

Oct 3, 2022 12:57 AM in response to logic68

I created a bootable install USB with Monterey OS and installed it on an external hard drive formatted APFS. It boots Monterey OK and runs the apps. I require but in the sharing permissions window, it shows you can only read. When I click on the pad lock, it shows the name I gave it and asks for the password. When I enter the password it will not accept it. I did write it down but now I have no clue. How do I recover the password and when I do, am I on the right track to changing the permissions to read and write.

Multiple operating systems on a 2019 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.