Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Trouble

I have installed windows on my Mac computers many times over the years, but I am completely stumped on installing windows 10 on Mojave.

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.4
  • Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso on a USB flash drive (I also tried an external hard drive with same results). The flash drive is USB 2.0 to the best of my knowledge, because it has 4 prongs)

Here is what happened:

1. I opened boot camp assistant
  2. The first issue that I encountered was that it was unable to partition. I did some research and it turned out to be related to time machine. I ran a command to delete the local time machine snapshots with priority 4 and solved the issue.
  3. I ran boot camp assistant again, everything went great this time, but upon the restart I see the windows logo - then the circle at the bottom of the screen starts moving, but when it moves to the next screen I received a blue screen that says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." - Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION / What failed: win32kfull.sys
  4. I tried restarting by holding the option key
    1. If I select the "EFI Boot" the same thing that happens in #3 above happens - blue screen.
    2. If I select the "Windows" it proceeds and I am able to move through the windows installer, but when I get to the screen where you pick the partition to install to, I can format the BOOTCAMP partition, but it says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

I have tried searching for hours, tried looking in to ways to possibly cover the BOOTCAMP partition to be MBR instead of GPT, but I am completely stumped. Is this due to a new update, are other people having this issue? I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thank you,

Brandon

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2019 6:12 PM

Similar questions

42 replies

May 4, 2019 6:44 PM in response to brandonschuk

Assuming this is related to "Your disk could not be partitioned&#… - Apple Community,

• Try using W10 1803 (April) instead of W10 1809 (October)
  • Your Mac supports both EFI and BIOS boots. Mojave defaults to EFI Boot. If you need to create a MBR, you can use GPT Fdisk (https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/).
  • The ISO should be on the Mac's internal disk in any folder other than Downloads.
  • If BCA prompts you for a USB to create an installer, use a USB2 Flash drive, which will be erased and formatted by BCA.

May 5, 2019 7:49 AM in response to brandonschuk

You have a 3TB Fusion drive, which means only an EFI installation will work, because MBRs only support 2TiB.

On a 3TB Fusion drive, using the the 3TB HDD disk for Windows, the possible partitioning schemes are

• A sandwich layout used on CoreStorage (pre-APFS) Macs - EFI, macOS, Windows, macOS on the HDD. This accommodates a Windows partition less than 1TB and is suitable for Hybrid MBRs and BIOS installation of W7/W8.1. This is used on 2012 and older Macs. On these Macs, if the Windows partition is larger than 1TB, then the layout becomes - EFI, macOS, Windows. Recovery HD has been omitted on CS layouts to avoid confusion. A MBR must be less than 2TiB, and must start within the first 2TiB, so any disk larger than 4TiB is not supported for MBRs.

You have a 2014 Mac, so it allows the second option on APFS with 3TB Fusion drives. If you are able to create the USB2 Installer, using Create+Download and it has the EFI installer included, we can try the Alt/Option method to install Windows, since you already have a partition. You may see an error about EFI being NTFS, which can be resolved.

May 12, 2019 8:00 PM in response to alisheikhpour

Please do not switch macOS versions, yet! There are some peculiarities that need to be understood. Under Sierra

• BC Assistant forces W7 installation to use BIOS, EFI is not supported, even though the 2014 iMac is capable of EFI. BC drivers used are 5.1.5679.
  • BC Assistant uses EFI during W10 installation, not BIOS, which causes a BSoD in win32kfull.sys. No MBR is created for W10.
  • Mojave only supports W10 and EFI only for new installations, similar to Sierra, and ends up with the same BSoD.
  • I manually partitioned the Fusion drive (CoreStorage, not APFS Fusion) using diskutil cs resizeStack command to get an MBR. This allowed me to install W10 1803 (April) using BIOS mode. Mojave has no equivalent of resizeStack command, but GPT FDisk can be used to create a MBR.
  • My assumption is that Mojave supports grandfathered installations of non-W10 versions on ALL Macs, and should allow existing installations to continue. I have tested this on a 2012 MBP which was upgraded from macOS Yosemite to Mojave directly. I do not want Mojave on my 2014 iMac.
  • I have seen some discussions, where users have lost their MBR, but Windows worked properly after MBR was recreated. See
  • The second link is still work-in-progress.
  • I need to check which driver(s) may be causing the BSoD under Mojave/EFI on the 2014 iMacs.

May 5, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Loner T

I have successfully removed the current partition, and I created a partition slightly over 1TiB. There is a "$WinPEDriver$" folder and here is a link to the PasteBin of my AutoUnattend.xml file: https://pastebin.com/YVzkf5xe

Since it may have something to do with drivers on the windows boot drive, I am toying around right now with what happens if I use these contents instead of what the Windows10 boot drive has and/or a combination - no success yet, but will let you know.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1837?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Lastly, what do you think of me trying to install windows 7 instead of windows 10 and then upgrading to windows 10? I would give it a shot, but I have been stuck for a few hours on how to make a windows 7 boot flash drive, because boot camp assistant will only let me make a windows 10 one, and will not allow me to make a windows 7 one. None of the manual ways seem to be working.

May 5, 2019 1:40 PM in response to brandonschuk

brandonschuk wrote:

I have successfully removed the current partition, and I created a partition slightly over 1TiB. There is a "$WinPEDriver$" folder and here is a link to the PasteBin of my AutoUnattend.xml file: https://pastebin.com/YVzkf5xe

Looks fine and as expected.

Since it may have something to do with drivers on the windows boot drive, I am toying around right now with what happens if I use these contents instead of what the Windows10 boot drive has and/or a combination - no success yet, but will let you know.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1837?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

BC 5.x drivers will fail on W10. You need to use BC6 drivers. Can you post a two-level file structure of $WinPEDriver$ using macOS Finder. Check the Product Version line in Bootcamp.xml referenced in the AutoUnattend.xml.

Lastly, what do you think of me trying to install windows 7 instead of windows 10 and then upgrading to windows 10? I would give it a shot, but I have been stuck for a few hours on how to make a windows 7 boot flash drive, because boot camp assistant will only let me make a windows 10 one, and will not allow me to make a windows 7 one. None of the manual ways seem to be working.

Mojave does not support W7. If you downgrade to Sierra, you may be able to, but EFI updates can lead to other issues.

May 5, 2019 9:32 AM in response to brandonschuk

• Use BCA, remove the current partition
  • Create a partition via BCA, which is 1TiB+, so we can manually create a MBR using GPT Fdisk
  • We can install using BIOS mode, instead of EFI and see what we get.

The win32kfull.sys is nasty, because it is looking for drivers, which should already be in $WinPEDriver$ which is built as part of the Windows installer.

• Can you verify that the USB has a $WinPEDriver$?
  • Can you post the contents of AutoUnattend.xml to PasteBin and post a link here?

May 5, 2019 6:30 PM in response to brandonschuk

You will temporarily need to disable SIP using csrutil in Local Recovery (not Internet Recovery) otherwise GDisk will fail. Once SIP is disabled, the GDisk steps are as follows. Be aware that Reboots can change the disk numbers. I will assume disk0 is the 3TB HDD. Change it, if necessary, after you check the output of diskutil list.

Rebuild MBR to match the new GPT information thus resetting the Hybrid MBR. Use defaults for other questions (like partition codes). The only values that need modifications are the Boot flags and step 10. Accept all other defaults that Gdisk offers. Please see thesample Q&A as an example. These steps can be repeated if you make a mistake before you get to Step 12, otherwise start from Step 1 for these steps. Step 6 has numbers which are typed with a space between the numbers. Please see the sample Q&A before you execute these steps.

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (Print list of parts)
  3. R (Recover)
  4. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  5. H (chooses Hybrid)
  6. Partitions numbers to be hybridized: 2 3
  7. Y (Good for GRUB question)
  8. N (part 2 boot flag)
  9. Y (part 3 boot flag make NTFS bootable partition)
  10. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  11. W (Write the new MBR)
  12. Y (Yes! write the new MBR)
  13. Reboot

Here is sample Q&A for this section. Please notice the Press Enter/Return.

Place EFI GPT (0xEE) partition first in MBR (good for GRUB)? (Y/N): Y

Creating entry for GPT partition #2 (MBR partition #2)
Enter an MBR hex code (default AF): Press Enter/Return
Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): N

Creating entry for GPT partition #3 (MBR partition #3)
Enter an MBR hex code (default 07): Press Enter/Return
Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): Y

May 5, 2019 8:03 PM in response to Loner T

I just took a stab at it, but stopped before step 12. Here is my pastebin https://pastebin.com/PAPWq0rJ

I am not sure if I did steps 6-9 properly. I followed the steps, rather than the sample Q&A, as they differed.

The reason why I stopped before step 12 - I have two questions, please:

1. Inbetween steps 9 and 10 this popped up: "Unused partition space(s) found. Use one to protect more partitions?" - I said "N", but I'm not sure if that's correct.
  2. For step 12 it said "THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING PARTITIONS!!" so I bailed. Will this delete my Mac install if I proceed?

Thank you for all of your help with this!

May 12, 2019 6:47 AM in response to Loner T

Same issue. Someone earlier posted something similar to my output of diskutil using the Late 2014 5k iMac.

diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         121.1 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         1000.0 GB  disk1s2

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +1.1 TB     disk2
                                 Physical Stores disk0s2, disk1s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            271.4 GB   disk2s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 45.3 MB    disk2s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                522.7 MB   disk2s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      2.1 GB     disk2s4

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *32.1 GB    disk3
   1:               Windows_NTFS WinInstall              32.1 GB    disk3s1

This is the first time I've noticed this because it's not a 3TB Fusion.

I've ran Bootcamp a few times on fresh Mojave installs, with different partition schemes. This issue first came up and I was on APFS so I assumed that + Fusion maybe was the issue. I de-coupled, partitioned it all again as jhfs+ and pretty sure I resetFusion as well. Used both ISOs from April and October. No dice.

Issue: After 'successfully' getting through BC partition, setup and restart, then a new and improved look alike to the classic 'blue screen of death'. Same error as most of these guys: win32ful failure.

The BIOS boot actually was really bizarre. It gets to the formatting of the 'BOOTCAMP' partition and gives the GPT format error that I've only experienced when partition is done outside BC.

This could have something to do with the strange APFS disk showing up? Under BIOS boot I noticed the size of the "BOOTCAMP" partition is 100GB greater than whatever I just set on BC. I've done 200GB partition on bootcamp and under the BIOS boot it finds a 300GB partition named ''BOOTCAMP''. Extremely extremely strange.

May 12, 2019 10:08 AM in response to alisheikhpour

W7 on the 2014 iMac 5K.

AMD Driver from 2014...

Disk layout (with MBR/BIOS).

diskutil list 
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            121.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            743.3 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                256.0 GB   disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           +858.8 GB   disk2
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2
                                 E42F07F4-DBC6-4718-A535-5F0E83C319C5
                                 Unencrypted Fusion Drive

sudo fdisk /dev/disk1
Password:
Disk: /dev/disk1	geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending
 #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -     409639] <Unknown ID>
 2: AC 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [    409640 - 1451845952] <Unknown ID>
 3: AB 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [1452255592 -    1269536] Darwin Boot 
*4: 07 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [1453527040 -  499996672] HPFS/QNX/AUX

I will post W10 EFI shortly.

May 12, 2019 7:18 PM in response to Loner T

I can install W10 1803 in BIOS mode on a 2014 iMac under macOS Sierra.

BC Drivers are 6.0.6136 for W10 1803.

diskutil list 
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *121.3 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            121.0 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD            684.9 GB   disk1s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                314.5 GB   disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (internal, virtual):
   0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           +800.0 GB   disk2
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2
                                 E42F07F4-DBC6-4718-A535-5F0E83C319C5
                                 Unencrypted Fusion Drive

/dev/disk3 (external, physical):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *16.0 GB    disk3
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 WININSTALL              16.0 GB    disk3s1

/dev/disk4 (disk image):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        +3.0 TB     disk4
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk4s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine Backups    3.0 TB     disk4s2

riMac:~ sudo fdisk /dev/disk1
Password:
Disk: /dev/disk1	geometry: 121601/255/63 [1953525168 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending
 #: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1: EE 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [         1 -     409639] <Unknown ID>
 2: AC 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [    409640 - 1337630176] <Unknown ID>
 3: AB 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [1338039816 -    1269536] Darwin Boot 
*4: 07 1023 254  63 - 1023 254  63 [1339310080 -  614213632] HPFS/QNX/AUX

I will test EFI Mode in the next couple of days.

May 4, 2019 8:45 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you for the reply and information. I just finished trying everything again with the April ISO (instead of the October ISO) and came out with the same results. Boot camp assistant made it all the way through to the part where it restarts for the windows install, but then blue screened right after the windows logo. I tried option restarting and selecting both methods again with the same results - blue screen on EFI and unable to install due to GPT partition style with other.

I tried looking up information on how to use gdisk, and spent the entire day today trying to learn how to either convert my GPT partition style to MBR or create a MBR hybrid and nothing is working.

Is this something that Apple is aware of, or may make an update to fix?

May 5, 2019 6:28 AM in response to brandonschuk

brandonschuk wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bootcamp/comments/bdb81o/windows_10_installer_crashing_late_2014_5k_imac/

I looked at the post, which has very few details. Someone has also tried to go back to Yosemite and it still fails. If EFI was updated and is broken, downgrading just the OS will not help. Apple stopped separate firmware updates, which creates a problem.

Boot Camp Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.