Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Windows 10 on mid-2012 MBP

I'm trying to install Windows 10 on my MacBook using Bootcamp.

I've followed several tutorials including the Apple tutorial, but I'm running into issues.

I have a brand new Crucial 500gb SSD running a fresh new version of Catalina.

I've downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.

I am using a 32gb PNY USB 2.0 flash drive.

I start up Bootcamp, it writes the files to the flash drive from the ISO, downloads Apple support software, and partitions the drive. I did a 60/40 partition split, between the MacOS and Windows.

I click continue, I have to put in my password a few times, the process completes, and the MacBook automatically restarts to a black screen saying "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key".

I press a few key and nothing happens, so I restart the MacBook and hold ALT which brings me to the boot screen, to choose which drive I want. There are 3 available options, MacBook, Windows, and EFI Boot.

If I select Windows, it takes me back to the black screen saying "no bootable device". If I select EFI Boot, it brings me to a Windows installation screen! Sounds good- I choose Windows 10 Home, I agree to the license agreement, I choose English and US keyboard, and then it takes me to a screen that lays out 3 partitions, and asks "where do I want to install windows? " I select the partition labeled BOOTCAMP, however that partition along with the other 2 all say "Windows cannot be installed to this disk, the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

One tutorial said to format the BOOTCAMP partition within this window, however when I do that it still doesn't change anything.

So I can't go any further than this screen. I've tried restoring everything back to normal, and going through the whole process again, same results every time. I'm going to try again with a Kingston 16gb 3.0 flash drive and see if that makes any difference. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 27, 2020 9:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 6:06 AM

You need to use Windows (not EFI Boot). Your 2012 Mac is a preUEFI Mac. You must use a USB2.0 Flash drive, not a USB3.0. Use a reputable brand. I have seen issues with PNY, Kingston and NO NAME. Use a SanDisk, Sony, Lexar USB2 drive.

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 28, 2020 8:13 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T, thank you for the response.

This morning I restarted from scratch, but I didn’t have any of the high-end flash drives in USB 2.0 that you recommended, however I had a USB 2.0 Seagate external HDD, so I gave that a shot.

Everything went exactly as any tutorial said it would. When the MBP rebooted itself, it booted right into a Windows install, it found the partition, and had no problem installing. Bootcamp installed within windows, and all the drivers installed correctly.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Installing Windows 10 on mid-2012 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.