Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you even turn this on???

This is the second time I've tried to use 2FA. Here's what happens:

I turn it on on my iPhone, which I think is the most "Apple" of my Apple devices.

It then tells me that it's waiting for approval from my other devices.

This never comes because none of my other devices have 2FA enable/authorized yet.

So I try to "Continue" to set it up on my MacBook Pro, which is dutifully telling me to click "Continue" to set up 2FA.

The 2FA message appears on my still-unapproved iPhone. I "Allow" and put in the code on my MBP.

It still tells me to "Continue." I look at my iPad. It also wants me to "Continue."

However, since not one single device has successfully been authorized, not one single device can approve the others.

So I go back to password-only, change my password to a new impossible one, and then run around the house re-logging in on everything. Also, to do this successfully, I paradoxically have to tap "Continue" on setting up 2FA, which then asks for the new password, and then successfully turns 2FA OFF.

There is no way that I can see that one can actually enable 2FA when already using iCloud extensively. It's a clusterf---.

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on May 4, 2019 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2019 7:52 PM

Before or after you enable 2 Factor Authentication on the phone, have you tried signing out of your other devices/computer, and then signing back in? Have you added you phone number to your Apple ID as a trusted number?

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication

Apple ID - Manage

Similar questions

4 replies

May 5, 2019 6:18 AM in response to BlueCover

Try contacting Apple ID Support to see if they can help you set up 2 Factor Authentication.

Apple ID Support

Apple ID Support (2) 

Apple Support by e-mail or chat    Work through the screens to get a chat option.  You may need to pick a problem that is slightly different than yours to get a chat option.  

Apple Support using Twitter

Or fill out and submit this form.          The form is for iTunes, but it will get passed to the ID Support section.  

May 5, 2019 12:27 AM in response to BlueCover

Just to add detail...

Here are the devices I use, both at home and work:

1. iMac running 10.12 (can't upgrade)
  2. 2016 nTB MBP running 10.14
  3. iPhone 7 running 12.2
  4. 10.5" iPad Pro running 12.2
  5. iPad Mini 3 running 12.2
  6. iPhone 5 running 10.3
  7. 2 iPad Retinas (first one) running 9 something
  8. AppleTV 4 running whatever that's up to
  9. AppleTV 3 running whatever that's up to
  10. iMac running 10.13 (can't upgrade).

The reason I turned it off the first time (right after they rolled it out) was that it invariably sent the verification message/number to something that was at home when I was at work and vice-versa. The system really doesn't take into account people who use a lot of different devices for different things...

May 5, 2019 12:20 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes, I tried signing out of my desktop, and it claimed it needed to download all my photos... Despite the fact that they are all downloaded already. It sat there for 30 minutes and then said it couldn't do it.

I have added my mobile number as a trusted number.

But here's another wrench that might be in the works:

My AppleID is a US account. I now live in Japan. It always displays my phone number as an international number with the Japan country code (+81). I am not sure if it can even text me. None of my other services have any problem, but I was expecting a text or something for the iPhone to be approved, but nothing ever happened. It just sat there waiting for approval.

No matter what happens, though, eventually I'm going to need both US and Japan numbers as trusted numbers. Ever since the big earthquake of 3/11/2011, I have been very careful to make sure that all my data is backed up to servers in the US, as I may need to flee someday (I had one foot out the door last time). It's not unreasonable to imagine a scenario where I find myself back in the US with little more than the clothes on my back, and without any of my devices. In such a case, I'll need to have a US trusted number as well so I can get back into my account.

I can't seem to find any information about if/how well Apple's 2FA supports international phone numbers...

How do you even turn this on???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.