Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to log in after enabling 2FA

Is it me or does 2FA simply not work, and there is now _no_ option to turn it off?

Every time I log into id.apple.com from my Macbook, the 2FA system message pops up, I enter the code, and can log into my Apple Id account. Great. When I try logging in via my iPhone or iPad, I enter my password and all I get is an 'Updating Apple ID settings' and it just sits there spinning.

I've tried signing out, turning the device on and off, etc.

Is there a way to log into my devices after turning 2FA on? and if not, how can I turn 2FA off, because this feature really doesn't seem up to Apple's usual standards....

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 6:54 PM

There was a post that stated this was a problem that Apple is aware of and is trying to fix.

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away.    

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away (2).    

Some people have fixed this by signing out of iCloud, restarting their device, and then logging back in. That hasn't worked for everyone.

From the article below updated on 24 Apr 2020. If it has been on longer than 2 weeks, you can't turn it off. 

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication.       

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Nathan Bennett

There was a post that stated this was a problem that Apple is aware of and is trying to fix.

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away.    

Settings - Update Apple ID Settings When It Won’t Go Away (2).    

Some people have fixed this by signing out of iCloud, restarting their device, and then logging back in. That hasn't worked for everyone.

From the article below updated on 24 Apr 2020. If it has been on longer than 2 weeks, you can't turn it off. 

Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require a higher level of security.

Apple ID -Two-factor authentication.       

Jun 12, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Nathan Bennett

You are welcome.

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Click here to send Feedback          

Unable to log in after enabling 2FA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.