Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS 2fa question

Hi everyone,

Our company requires us to have 2fa on all computer by insurance company to prompt for 2fa after each login even from a locked screen. Our mac users as far as we can tell cannot use the apple 2fa as it only prompts one time for a second form of authentication.

Im thinking either I do not have proper configuration, or this is a feature request and we need to use a third part product. Hoping its a setting user error on my part.

Thank you kindly for any feedback you can give me on this.

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 8:00 AM

Apple's 2FA applies to your Apple ID, not specific devices. It is used when logging in to Apple services or adding new device to your Apple ID. 2FA has never been meant or promoted as a way to protect devices in any way.

You can add a firmware password to the Mac which you would need to enter before boot up and then log in with your normal password, or use a 3rd party solution.

If you use FileVault to encrypt the Mac's hard drive there is no way to get to the data without the user password.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 8:00 AM in response to jwalker5006

Apple's 2FA applies to your Apple ID, not specific devices. It is used when logging in to Apple services or adding new device to your Apple ID. 2FA has never been meant or promoted as a way to protect devices in any way.

You can add a firmware password to the Mac which you would need to enter before boot up and then log in with your normal password, or use a 3rd party solution.

If you use FileVault to encrypt the Mac's hard drive there is no way to get to the data without the user password.

MacOS 2fa question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.