Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB2 to MacPro Thunderbolt adapter

I have a Canon FV-M10 camcorder w/ mini DV videos. I would like to connect the Canon (one plug is the Canon the other is a USB) I assume it's old so USB2. Cam is in great condition. I have a 2013 8 core MacPro. On my old MacPro (silver square) I just plugged the cam (USB into it, and both Final Cut Pro (old) & iMovie were viewable.

Most of the Mac adapter comments/videos talk about Firewire 400/800 adapter. I do already have a FW 800 adapter for one of my old external HDD from my old Mac. (No problem). Isn't there an adapter from the cam cable (USB) to Thunderbolt directly? I don't understand exactly. Help!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2019 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 2:54 AM

Wow thanx...yes, that's exactly the Canon connection end I need...to Firewire (400) prefer 800, then a FW adapter to Thunderbolt. Perfect thanks....Hopefully there are only a few left, thank everyone for your replies! Why isn't there a a icon of a MacPro (round) my icon shows my defunkt old MacPro????

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 2:54 AM in response to John Lockwood

Wow thanx...yes, that's exactly the Canon connection end I need...to Firewire (400) prefer 800, then a FW adapter to Thunderbolt. Perfect thanks....Hopefully there are only a few left, thank everyone for your replies! Why isn't there a a icon of a MacPro (round) my icon shows my defunkt old MacPro????

May 5, 2019 8:11 AM in response to xrc

There are three form factors for FireWire devices.

The highest speeds (FireWire-800) are supported by the squarish, center-notched connector also known as the 9-pin connector. It has additional signals to allow balanced drivers (aka push-pull drivers) on the data lines to attain highest speeds. It can provide power for the external device.

The next highest speeds are provided by FireWire-400. It uses a squarish connector with one short side rounded, and can resemble the letter D in outline. It has 6-pins in the connector and the data cables. It can provide power for the external device.

The same FireWire-400 speeds are provided by the 4-pin connector. This is the one used in cameras and similar equipment. It simply drops the power pins, otherwise is identical ind function to FireWire-400. It is smaller and squarish, and has a center notch. It is often mistaken for "some kind of small USB".

Interoperability:

If the device can support FireWire-800, and the signals are present in ALL the cables, devices run at FireWire-800 speeds. Otherwise, they automatically run at FireWire-400 speeds. Devices that claim to "adapt" from one to another generally just provide the correct connectors and drop the extra signals required for FirWire-800. The devices themselves drop back to FieWire-400 and work just fine. This whole ecosystem is remarkably well behaved -- there are no stories of manufacturers producing devices that do not inter-operate.

additional information and pictures here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394

May 7, 2019 9:00 AM in response to xrc

If the Canon is using USB which from your post seems to be the case then the Mac Pro 2012 model has the same USB 3.0 ports as the older (silver) Mac Pro so you would simply use the same cable.

If you were actually using an old FireWire cable between the Canon and the old Mac Pro then the Mac Pro 2013 does not have a built-in FireWire port and you would need the adapter mentioned by Smokerz.

It should be noted many old cameras used a special form of FireWire called by Sony iLink which used a different type of connector and this might be where the confusion has arisen. This would be the type of FireWire cable you would need along with the Apple ThunderBolt to FireWire adapter.

See - https://www.amazon.com/FireWire-Panasonic-Camcorder-Connect-Computer/dp/B079TDV1T2/

Strictly speaking this is a FireWire 800 to FireWire 400 cable but the difference is that it omits the normal pins also present which would provide power - hence it can be smaller than a normal FireWire 400 connector.

May 7, 2019 9:05 AM in response to xrc

If it was a USB cable then it could just plugin to the Mac Pro 2013 you have as it has the same USB 2.0 ports as the older Mac Pro models.

I suspect the Canon is actually using a special form of FireWire called iLink which is basically a FireWire 400 connection but without the wires for providing power. This allows it to use a smaller connector.

You would therefore need the Apple ThunderBolt to FireWire adapter mentioned by Smokerz but would also need a special cable like the following.

https://www.amazon.com/FireWire-Panasonic-Camcorder-Connect-Computer/dp/B079TDV1T2/

May 17, 2019 12:05 AM in response to John Lockwood

I just got a Canon FV M10 camcorder cable that I thought would do the trick. As I said I have the round garbage can looking new Mac Pro (2013) Not the silver one posted as my icon. (That's gone!) Anyway I could get...a cable that connected to my Camcorder....(like the one I had mentioned before, instead the USB on the other end...the new cable has a FW 800 on the other end (great) I already have the Apple Thunderbolt adapter. Plugged the cable into the camcorder...plugged the end into the Apple TB adapter...plugged that into the MacPro...and it didn't see my MacPro...

Jun 27, 2019 10:26 PM in response to xrc

I did purchase the cable that fits from my Canon mini DV recorder Firewire adapter. Plugged in nice. But, it still didn't recognize the Canon video recorder. Why can't they just sell a mini DV player that can connect to USD/Thunderbolt? I have at least 100 mini DV videos...

USB2 to MacPro Thunderbolt adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.