Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final cut pro X

Hello,

if I install final cut pro X on a mac book pro Touch Bar and Touch ID, quad-core, 2.3GHz, 256GB storage would it be fine or can there be problems like slowdown or something else?

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 5, 2019 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 8:11 AM

Hello, thank you very much but what do you mean by external drive?

(It's okay an hard disk?)

A hard disk or ssd connected via usb or thunderbolt.

An ssd (like the T5 that was already mentioned, but there are many other options) is faster, but a hard disk will also work.

Ideally you should have more than one, using an ssd for editing and a larger hd for backup: you do your production using the fast ssd, then when you are done you can copy it to a hard drive for archiving, erase the ssd and start a new one.

I can do this even with just a 250GB external ssd, and the performance is great.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2019 8:11 AM in response to LucaArcangeli

Hello, thank you very much but what do you mean by external drive?

(It's okay an hard disk?)

A hard disk or ssd connected via usb or thunderbolt.

An ssd (like the T5 that was already mentioned, but there are many other options) is faster, but a hard disk will also work.

Ideally you should have more than one, using an ssd for editing and a larger hd for backup: you do your production using the fast ssd, then when you are done you can copy it to a hard drive for archiving, erase the ssd and start a new one.

I can do this even with just a 250GB external ssd, and the performance is great.

May 6, 2019 9:06 AM in response to LucaArcangeli

Your computer has a hard disk where the software and your content sits.

It is integrated into your computer.

When you need more space you can buy hard disk in a little box, that you can plug into the USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 port on your computer.

When you plug it in you see a little hard drive symbol appear on your desktop for that external hard drive. This is called mounting a disk.

Give the disk a name.

When you double-click on that external hard drive symbol, it opens up just like a folder on your computer.

You can then pull folders and files from your desktop onto that drive.

If you want to disconnect it you select it and on the keyboard you press COMMAND + E. Then the symbol disappears. This is called "unmounting a disk"

Never just unplug a disk - always use that keyboard shortcut to unmount it first.

I recommend the Samsung T5, it is fast and incredibly low cost. I bought mine at B & H in New York. Good shop and good prices, good service should you have any trouble with the product you can call them. It's a photo retailer, but it sells tons of computer gear, too.

PS: You will also need to backup your computer and for this external hard drive. I suggest to buy a regular spinning hard drive (as it doesn't have to be as fast) , partition it (diving it into sections e.g. 250 GB for computer hard drive and 500 GB for the new external hard drive). All the data you have on the computer needs to be backed up.

The best software in my opinion to back up is "Carbon Copy Cloner" , but I think you can also use the backup software that comes with the Mac.

Final cut pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.