Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in Photos, what is the difference between 'favourites' and 'flagged' albums

I have two albums - one is the 'Favourites' and one is the 'Flagged' - what determines where my photos get put?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on May 6, 2019 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2019 8:22 AM

Photos for Mac does not support flags. Which version of Photos are you running?

Did you perhaps migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos? iPhoto supports flags. Perhaps your iPhoto library contained flagged photos and the iPhoto Flagged album has been migrated to Photos as a smart album?

The only flag that Photos offers is the favorite heart ♡. You will find all photos you tag with the favorite heart in this album.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2019 8:22 AM in response to gayleen7

Photos for Mac does not support flags. Which version of Photos are you running?

Did you perhaps migrate an iPhoto Library to Photos? iPhoto supports flags. Perhaps your iPhoto library contained flagged photos and the iPhoto Flagged album has been migrated to Photos as a smart album?

The only flag that Photos offers is the favorite heart ♡. You will find all photos you tag with the favorite heart in this album.

May 7, 2019 5:06 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Leonie - I am using Photos 3.0 and yes, I have migrated from iPhoto. What was confusing me was that I know the 'heart' is what is used by Photos but I noticed a lot of the photos in my 'Flagged' album also has a heart on them, so I guess it just means that some of the pictures are appearing in both albums if I work on an older picture and put a heart on it, it then will also appear in that album. Just one of the 'fun' things that happen with a very large photos library!!!

Gayleen7

May 7, 2019 8:43 AM in response to gayleen7

but I noticed a lot of the photos in my 'Flagged' album also has a heart on them, so I guess it just means that some of the pictures are appearing in both albums if I work on an older picture and put a heart on it, it then will also appear in that album.

Yes, that makes sense. If you mark a photo as a favorite, and it is in some album, you will see the heart in the album too.

in Photos, what is the difference between 'favourites' and 'flagged' albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.