Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can in I get rid of photos on my Macbook but keep them on my phone

How can in I get rid of photos on my Macbook but keep them on my phone. When I got my macbook the photos automatically synced but I would rather not have any photos on my Mac and keep them on my phone.

Many Thanks

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 6, 2019 11:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 7:31 AM

Your phone is automatically syncing them to the cloud and that's a good idea because the cloud is your backup. So you want to have your computer stop grabbing them from the cloud. Open System Preferences and select iCloud. Click off the checkmark next to Photos to completely disconnect your computer from iCloud. You'll be asked if you want to delete Photos from your computer and it sounds like you do.

Now the downside to this is that if you should have a photo on your computer (maybe you downloaded it from a site or got it in email) and you want it on your phone it won't automatically go there. For those you can use AirDrop, email them to yourself, or log onto iCloud and move them onto your cloud Photos which will sync them with your phone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2019 7:31 AM in response to niamh4090

Your phone is automatically syncing them to the cloud and that's a good idea because the cloud is your backup. So you want to have your computer stop grabbing them from the cloud. Open System Preferences and select iCloud. Click off the checkmark next to Photos to completely disconnect your computer from iCloud. You'll be asked if you want to delete Photos from your computer and it sounds like you do.

Now the downside to this is that if you should have a photo on your computer (maybe you downloaded it from a site or got it in email) and you want it on your phone it won't automatically go there. For those you can use AirDrop, email them to yourself, or log onto iCloud and move them onto your cloud Photos which will sync them with your phone.

May 7, 2019 9:06 AM in response to niamh4090

Since you didn't choose the option to delete the photos when you turned off iCloud Photos, you'll have to launch the Photos (or iPhotos) program and delete the photos manually. You can select all (from the edit menu) and then delete them. Then click on the trash icon that's in the left window pane. There you can finish the delete.

How can in I get rid of photos on my Macbook but keep them on my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.