Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

How can I delete photos off my phone but keep. them on my MacBook?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 3:43 AM

They'll only be deleted off your mac if both the phone and mac are syncing with iCloud. So to keep them on the mac, you need to disconnect either your mac, or your phone from iCloud.

If you still want to use iCloud to sync your devices, you can select optimise phone storage on the phone, and then it will only keep full size originals in iCloud. This will reduce the space taken on your phone to around 20% of the full library - but in this case you'll still need to keep all (optimised) photos on your phone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 3:43 AM in response to MDale2208

They'll only be deleted off your mac if both the phone and mac are syncing with iCloud. So to keep them on the mac, you need to disconnect either your mac, or your phone from iCloud.

If you still want to use iCloud to sync your devices, you can select optimise phone storage on the phone, and then it will only keep full size originals in iCloud. This will reduce the space taken on your phone to around 20% of the full library - but in this case you'll still need to keep all (optimised) photos on your phone.

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.