Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail adding links to email - even if I remove them

Hello, some old posts on these, but unresolved, so thought I would try again. Topic is OS Mojave, but happens in older OS, I couldn't find Apple Mail as a topic.

When composing an email, I have typed some text that would appear to be a link, say "example.com". Mail automatically makes this a link, unless I deselect edit/substitutions/Smart Links. This is fine, I can either deselect Smart Links, or I can manually remove the link. When either is done, all is good, no hyperlink for "example.com" in the email I am drafting.

However, when I send the email, it gets added back in. example.com has become a hyperlink again - this is true in the email in my sent box, in the inbox when received in apple mail, and in the inbox if I view the email through a browser (webmail).

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks!

Posted on May 7, 2019 2:33 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 7, 2019 5:30 AM in response to winegums2

Many systems will automatically identify URL's and "linkify" them.

You would have to look at the raw source of your sent emails to determine what was actually sent. Look in both the sent folder and the received emails.

Does the raw source only contain the text example.com or does it contain

<a href="http://example.com">example.com</a>

May 8, 2019 7:07 AM in response to winegums2

winegums2 wrote:

Yes, we considered that, but we need to include other links in the email. Exposing my ignorance, but assume you can’t include links in a plain text email?

Correct. Plain text is plain text. Links need html. You can have either html or plain text email formatting. If you choose html you'll have active links. If you choose plain text the links will not be active and will only show as plain text.

(plain text link) apple.com

(html link) apple.com

Also be aware that many email recipients do not use html when reading email. So even if you send an html link it will only show up to the recipient as plain text rather than as an active link.

Mail adding links to email - even if I remove them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.