Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting drm protected purchased files on iPad

I have numerous albums, both through iTunes and CDs that are indicated as DRM protected, and therefore annot be used as soundtrack for iMovie. How can I unprotect these files

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on May 7, 2019 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2019 8:14 AM

You cannot actually remove DRM and in many areas it is illegal to do so, though CDs can't be protected by DRM so I don't kinow how you are seeing it. Only older purchases in the iTunes Store have DRM - they have been without this for several years now. You can re-download DRM'd purchases without it by subscribing to iTunes Match.

None of this alters the fact that you shoudn't be using copyrighted material in your movie.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2019 8:14 AM in response to oldguybob

You cannot actually remove DRM and in many areas it is illegal to do so, though CDs can't be protected by DRM so I don't kinow how you are seeing it. Only older purchases in the iTunes Store have DRM - they have been without this for several years now. You can re-download DRM'd purchases without it by subscribing to iTunes Match.

None of this alters the fact that you shoudn't be using copyrighted material in your movie.

May 7, 2019 3:36 PM in response to oldguybob

...when you purchase music or artwork, or documents, you are purchasing a single use right to use that copyrighted material for your personal purpose; as long as you do not distribute that material, or utilize it to make a profit. My issue is that I download a mp3 file/album from the apple store, and cannot use that music in an iMovie video because iMovie determines that it is DRM...

I don’t think I should have to purchase it a second time through apple match, when I bought it from the apple store in the first place...

converting drm protected purchased files on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.