Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share Storage With Your Family button isn't working

I followed the directions to set up the 200GB account, set up the family share and tried to share via my iPhone 6 running iOS 12.2 but the invitations never came up to send. I finally was able to use my Mac (running El Capitan) to at least set up the family share, but since my Mac is so old, I couldn't share the iCloud storage.

When I go to my iPhone and tap the Share Storage Plan button (from Settings --> <<Name>> --> Family Sharing --> iCloud Storage), nothing happens and I haven't found a solution to do this online through my iCloud account.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

iPhone 6, 12

Posted on May 7, 2019 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 2:23 PM

Hello SEB1985,

Thanks for the reply. Your idea to try signing out and back in may help to resolve this. When you sign out, any synced information is indeed removed from your device, but once you sign back in and turn the services back on, the data will return to your device. Give that a try to see how it works after.

Kind regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 2:23 PM in response to SEB1985

Hello SEB1985,

Thanks for the reply. Your idea to try signing out and back in may help to resolve this. When you sign out, any synced information is indeed removed from your device, but once you sign back in and turn the services back on, the data will return to your device. Give that a try to see how it works after.

Kind regards.

May 8, 2019 6:37 AM in response to SEB1985

Hi SEB1985,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. I understand you have a question about sharing storage, and I'm glad to help.

It sounds possible that the people in your family sharing may already have access to your storage. If they were using free storage, they would typically automatically be upgraded to the shared plan per this resource titled Share an iCloud storage plan with your family:

"Share a storage plan with your existing family

If you already use Family Sharing, you can set up shared storage for your existing family members from your device Settings or System Preferences.

"

On one of other devices, try tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud; do you see the 200 GB plan shown there? Manage your iCloud storage

Cheers!

May 8, 2019 11:46 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply. My wife and I have separate AppleIDs and use separate iCloud accounts. We both have a paid 50GB storage account. I upgraded mine to 200GB, set up the family plan and went to share the iCloud storage with her and the Share Storage Plan button never goes any further than a spinning gear at the top right corner. To my knowledge, no one in my family was sharing my iCloud storage and we did not have family sharing turned on.

When I checked my wife's phone, it still shows with her 50GB account and it only allows me to upgrade her to a 200GB account.

I was going to sign out of my iCloud account and sign back in, but I got some warnings about data loss and stuff being stored on my phone, so I opted to ask the question first before I went down a path that might create other problems.

Any other ideas? Thank you for you help.

scott

Share Storage With Your Family button isn't working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.