Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop auto login at sites

My Mac has been behaving differently recently. I have an old Macbook running High Sierra, and the problem occurs when logging in to a site such as Wordpress or a family history site I use.

Until recently, MacOS would automatically fill in my password when I selected the username, and then wait for me to press the "Login" button. But now as soon as I select the username, it fills in the password and logs me in automatically. Now this may seem like a convenience, but it prevents me from clicking on any other option, for example, that I want to stay logged in.

This can have an unfortunate effect, e.g. when writing a Wordpress blog post. Because I have been unable to select "stay logged in", Wordpress can log me out halfway through, and then both Wordpress and I get confused about whether I should have access to that page or not.

Is there any way I can turn off this extra auto login feature please? The only thing I could find by searching was how to do my startup login, which isn't what I want. Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on May 7, 2019 7:34 PM

14 replies

May 7, 2019 10:57 PM in response to Unkle e

I take it back, Brave does have Auto Sign-in...

Automatically sign in to websites using stored credentials. If disabled, you will be asked for confirmation every time before signing in to a website.

Sure, give it a Try, but I'm using it now on several sites, login the same with occasional slight diffs, pic was after 3 weeks of use...

May 7, 2019 8:15 PM in response to Unkle e

Thanks for your prompt help. But of course if I delete the passwords, then I have to remember them all. Dialabrain's suggestion might work, but would be a drag every time I get into this situation.

Do you think switching to Chrome would make any difference?

(Why does Apple keep on trying to make things "easier" for us, but actually makes things more difficult? Can't we at least have the option?)

May 7, 2019 10:42 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the heads up. I have read several reviews of Brave and they are all good. I'm wondering whether the others may not all work the same as Safari, because this appears to be only a new feature in Safari, so maybe the others haven't gone this way? Autofill, yes, but auto login too? I may give Brave a try and see.

Stop auto login at sites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.