Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook air is showing "other user" option on login window, how to remove that

How to remove the other user option from my login window on my mac .Also from last 2-3 days my mac is eating up lots of internet i'm not able to get the cause please help me for that too.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 24, 2020 1:39 PM

9 replies

Jul 25, 2020 10:04 AM in response to ziya101

Thanks for posting the picture. I understand where you are what you are looking to perform. You want to remove the OTHER USER. Please follow the instructions as shown below-

Enable or disable the root user

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups (or Accounts).
  2. Click , then enter an administrator name and password.
  3. Click Login Options.
  4. Click Join (or Edit).
  5. Click Open Directory Utility.
  6. Click in the Directory Utility window, then enter an administrator name and password.
  7. From the menu bar in Directory Utility: (Top main Menu Bar)
    • Choose Edit > Enable Root User, then enter the password that you want to use for the root user.
    • Or choose Edit > Disable Root User.

After that reboot your computer and the OTHER USER should be gone. If not then come back and let us know and we will try something else with the Terminal Command.

Axel F.

Jul 27, 2020 12:52 PM in response to ziya101

I saw the image of the Terminal window in your response. I see that you had entered the command however the command that you endeared was to enable the OTHER USER. I had provided that in case you needed to revert the changes back for any reason.

The correct command to enter in the Terminal Window is-

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

Terminal will ask you to enter the password after you hit ENTER after the above command. That password is the same password that you use to unlock the computer when you first log in.

Reboot the computer after the Terminal command shown above has been executed. Thanks.

Please try the above and let me know if that works.

Axel F.

Jul 24, 2020 10:25 PM in response to ziya101

Open System Preferences ➔ Users & Groups ➔ Passwords Tab ➔ Guest Users (Left Column) - UNCHECK Allow guests to log in to this computer. See image below for reference

Regarding your other question on what is using up all your WiFi Network's Internet related data. Do you use iCloud for Files or iCloud for Photos, Messages etc? If you have a lot of photos and other media then that could take a while to synch it to iCloud.

Axel F.

Jul 25, 2020 1:29 AM in response to Axel Foley

ya i have alrdy done that guest user option but is not helping me , it is not showing guest user instead it is showing up "other user"

and about internet ya turned on icloud update but i have turned off dat too and even have deleted my icloud from my lapi still it is consuming lots of data .pls tell me if there's any soln for this .

Jul 26, 2020 1:48 PM in response to ziya101

Thanks for sharing the image in your response.

There is one other option to remove the "Other User" and that is through the Terminal app.

Open the Terminal app and at the prompt input the following command and then press enter-

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

Reboot the computer and see whether that solves it.

If you ever want to revert back to "Other User" enabled (For whatever reason) then below is the command to be entered in the Terminal App.

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool TRUE

Axel F.

my macbook air is showing "other user" option on login window, how to remove that

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.