Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't receive Yahoo/AT&T incoming e-mail

Mail on my iMac won't download incoming e-mails from my Yahoo/AT&T account. This happened very suddenly. I have rebuilt the mailbox more than once, checked the settings, and still nothing. Currently, the status bar at the bottom of the left-hand column says "Downloading Messages 18 New Messages". This was followed by "1,286 messages", then replaced by "121 of 1,286 messages" and a blue status bar. In the interim I am directly signing in to the Yahoo/AT&T mail account. I am not having any trouble accessing this account via my iPod's Mail app.

Any ideas?

iMac 21.5", 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2019 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 1:26 PM

On a whim, I created a Yahoo mail account -- basically a copy of the original -- and all of the missing emails suddenly popped into my inbox. Which is great, but it's still churning on six thousand-some emails it claims to be downloading. Something is goofy, but at least it appears the Mail client is working on my iMac.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2019 1:26 PM in response to chrisawyer

On a whim, I created a Yahoo mail account -- basically a copy of the original -- and all of the missing emails suddenly popped into my inbox. Which is great, but it's still churning on six thousand-some emails it claims to be downloading. Something is goofy, but at least it appears the Mail client is working on my iMac.

May 8, 2019 4:12 PM in response to chrisawyer

You've already confirmed that you can access the account via a browser, so I suggest referring to these articles for some additional troubleshooting suggestions. I personally would use the Connection Doctor first to find out what types of errors are being generated.

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

May 8, 2019 4:58 PM in response to ProbsRus

ProbRus:

Thanks for the reply. Connection Doctor is showing that everything is fine. The Mail Activity window is suggesting that the account is in the midst of downloading all of the emails. I have reset the system so the computer will stay awake, and none of this has to take place in the background while it sleeps. My guess is that it is in the middle of rebuilding the mailbox. (Apparently a very slow process.) I will let it run and see what happens.

Thanks again.

May 9, 2019 3:52 AM in response to fuzzymo

I will get to that as soon as I can, but it's nearly 12 hours later and

the activity manager is saying that the system has downloaded 283 of

4,179 emails. This isn't just slow, it's glacial. The computer has been

awake all night, but progress is unacceptably slow. And it's not like I

have tons of emails that are complex or hold a lot of data. This does

not seem right.

May 9, 2019 4:26 AM in response to fuzzymo

I will get to that as soon as I can, but it's nearly 12 hours later and

the activity manager is saying that the system has downloaded 283 of

4,179 emails. This isn't just slow, it's glacial. The computer has been

awake all night, but progress is unacceptably slow. And it's not like I

have tons of emails that are complex or hold a lot of data. This does

not seem right.

May 9, 2019 7:12 AM in response to chrisawyer

Mac Scan has run, and I haven't used Privacy Scan during this. The only other things I have are Privacy Badger and Blur, both of which scan the websites visited. That's it. Unless there is some way those applications could be slowing things down, I'm at a loss. Also, it is not unusual for the "Downloading Messages" prompt to pop up regularly, as though the Mail client is rebuilding on a regular basis. I'm now at message 327 of 5,422. At this rate I'll be dead before it's done.

iMac won't receive Yahoo/AT&T incoming e-mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.