Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD Unlocking Issue!

So I have an old IPAD I want to donate to a non profit. I don't remember the APPLE ID it is registered to and when I turn it on it shows ****** as the APPLE ID. I bought it years ago so no more receipt or idea where it is from. Is there any way to unlock this or literally had this turned into garbage?

iPad 2

Posted on May 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 11:36 AM

You can try the suggestions in this Apple Support Article on if you've forgotten your Apple ID. If this doesn't work, sadly the device is not usable again. Apple won't help you with it unless you can provide the original purchase receipt, validating you are the original and rightful owner.

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Sayjul

You can try the suggestions in this Apple Support Article on if you've forgotten your Apple ID. If this doesn't work, sadly the device is not usable again. Apple won't help you with it unless you can provide the original purchase receipt, validating you are the original and rightful owner.

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

May 9, 2019 11:40 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Dang. That is what I thought. I understand security reasons for this but definitely dumb that they can't register serial numbers of the owner so I don't have to keep a receipt for years to prove I was the one who bought and **** if they think I'll purchase another one of their products if their only solution is throwing it away

May 9, 2019 11:57 AM in response to Sayjul

It's a theft deterrent system, which I'm frankly grateful for. If your device was ever stolen, you would be thankful for this as well. Since you said you want to donate to non-profit, it's not you're really losing anything if you can't do anything with it. You could give it to Apple so they can recycle it appropriately. Being mad because you don't have the receipt, is an understandable emotion, but directed in the wrong direction.

May 9, 2019 2:40 PM in response to Sayjul

Debating this here on a user to user only forum won't get you anything. Apple's not going to change their position on this, just like cellular providers don't track ownership by serial number either.

I'm constantly amazed by how many people don't do the simplest of things. And that's to keep important logon information written down somewhere safe for future reference. I have a locked notebook, stored where only I know where to find, that has all my ID's and Passwords written down. I store my receipts for all my electronics physically and electronically. The electronic records are backed up to a cloud service, I can access from any computer anywhere.

It's up to us, the customer to keep important documents and while I understand your frustration, I'll say it again, it's not Apple's fault you didn't.

May 9, 2019 7:39 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Ummm I'm pretty sure my Google Pixel S/N is registered to my name. Actually I know. And NEVER write down passwords. That is a NO NO! Are you kidding me? I have a background in computer science. And storing receipts from almost 15 years ago... Good For You! Apple can do whatever it wants to and I have dealt with plenty of other companies without these issues. Write down passwords.... LOL

IPAD Unlocking Issue!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.