Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Could Not Be Installed on Your Computer

I have been given a MacBook Pro by a friend who somehow has managed to delete macOS. When I try to reinstall it, I get a message saying that macOS could not be installed because the installer resources were not found. If I quite and try again, the same happens.

Can anyone give me some guidance to rectify this please

Posted on May 9, 2019 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2019 2:45 PM

You can get the exact model of your computer by entering your serial number here.

In Disk Utility, click on the "View" drop down list just above the left pane and select "Show All Devices". You will need to click on the physical drive in the left pane and then select Erase. Quit Disk Utility and select the "Reinstall macOS" option.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2019 2:45 PM in response to nigelmarston

You can get the exact model of your computer by entering your serial number here.

In Disk Utility, click on the "View" drop down list just above the left pane and select "Show All Devices". You will need to click on the physical drive in the left pane and then select Erase. Quit Disk Utility and select the "Reinstall macOS" option.

May 9, 2019 1:16 PM in response to nigelmarston

MacOS Base System is a generally a disk image. It is the SOURCE of the software to be installed. It can not be used as the destination on which to Install.

If you have no other disks visible, you need to select Disk Utility and poke around in there. The built-in drive may need to be erased... or it may need to be replaced with a new one. Luckily, they are not expensive.

Any idea what Model Year this MacBook is?

macOS Could Not Be Installed on Your Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.