Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use RAW as Original (Reprocess RAW)

I have a bunch of RAW images (from a Nikon D80) but I cannot get the "Use RAW as Original" or "Reprocess RAW" to. Look at the attached screenshot. I'm in edit mode, and the "Info" indicates that the image is RAW but still...

(I still have iPhoto available - works there.)

Posted on May 10, 2019 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 12:21 PM

Reprocess Raw is available in Photos, if you installed a system update, that changed the raw processing. Photos will not automatically reprocess the RAW files after a RAW update, because it may change the look of a photo. You can do it manually, after you installed an update, but can skip it, f you like the current look of your photo. Use Raw as Original is only available for RW+JPEG pairs, as OT explained.

The File Type badges "R" and "J" are only shown for RAW+JPEG pairs as well. If you imported a pair, you will see the R badge, aid the RAW component is the original and the J, if the JPEG is the original. With only RAWs imported, these badges are missing.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 12:21 PM in response to apeteee

Reprocess Raw is available in Photos, if you installed a system update, that changed the raw processing. Photos will not automatically reprocess the RAW files after a RAW update, because it may change the look of a photo. You can do it manually, after you installed an update, but can skip it, f you like the current look of your photo. Use Raw as Original is only available for RW+JPEG pairs, as OT explained.

The File Type badges "R" and "J" are only shown for RAW+JPEG pairs as well. If you imported a pair, you will see the R badge, aid the RAW component is the original and the J, if the JPEG is the original. With only RAWs imported, these badges are missing.

May 10, 2019 11:36 AM in response to Old Toad

That could be it, have to check.

There are 2 menu alternatives related to RAW: "Use RAW as Original" and "Reprocess RAW". Are you suggesting neither of these would be relevant if I in fact only have a RAW master?

With iPhoto "Reprocess RAW" is still available... (is that just another way to do undo all edits?)

There are supposed to file type metadata indicators when browsing. I don't see those either.

May 18, 2019 9:22 AM in response to 20Azartguy16

Some thing is very wrong, if you are seeing the "J" badge, but you cannot switch to the RAW file as the original while in Edit mode, the RAW file is either missing or the RAW format is not supported in your version of MacOS X.

Are you getting an error message, when you are in Edit Mode and try to click "Use RAW as Original"?

Are two files exported, when you select one of your RAW&JPEG pairs and use the command "File > Export > Export unmodified original"? this should export both the RAW file and the JPEG.

May 18, 2019 12:50 PM in response to léonie

I've downloaded 2 different JPEG/RAW images in case the old files were corrupted. I can get them into Photos with the J badge, I can export as original and get both RAW and JPEG so both image formats are there, but I cannot switch to use the RAW file inside Photos. It might have something to do with the auto backup to iCloud? If I import to the desktop I get the problem, if I import to another (non-backed up) and Import to Photos they are separated and I can Import either type to Photos.

May 18, 2019 11:31 PM in response to 20Azartguy16

If your Mac is syncing with iCloud Photos, and you are using "Optimize Mac Storage", the full size originals may be removed from the Mac and kept only in iCloud. While a photo is optimized, the editing options will not be available. For a RAW&JPEG pair it can mean, that you cannot switch to the RAW as an original, until the original has been downloaded.

How are you using the RAW files on the iPad? On the iPad you can only edit RAW files (as RAW), if you use third-party editors. Have the photos been externally edited? An external editor will create an additional quasi-master file. if a RAW&JPEG pair photo has been edited, try if "Revert to Original" will bring the "Use RAW as Original" back. When I import RAW&JPEG pairs (I rarely do), I duplicate the pair with "Image > Duplicate". Then I switch the original copy to "RAW" and keep the duplicate as a jpeg, so I can compare the versions after editing them.

May 21, 2019 11:35 AM in response to léonie

First, “optimize…” is off, so that’s not the problem.

Second, I’m not using an external editor, the J/R file is moving SD card >desktop >iCloud > Photos. Importing to another folder (and not to the desktop for auto iCloud backup) and then into Photos has the same result.

Third, I don’t have an “Image>Duplicate” command in Photos (v 4.0).

Use RAW as Original (Reprocess RAW)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.