Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access files on Linux-formatted (ext3 or ext4) drive directly from my Mac?

I'm wondering if/how I can access files on a Linux-formatted external hard drive directly from my Mac.

Is there a Mac utility required to do this? Can it be done by invoking some Unix commands via the Terminal app?

I have an old external hard drive that I believe is probably formatted in some variant of the "ext" file system (ext2, ext3, ext4, etc.) which I am told is the standard file system used by Ubuntu Linux. This drive was sold as a NAS server (and was used by me for a while as one), but it's old, hasn't been used in years, and came with some odd "home network server" utility (from Iomega) which allowed access, but seems to needlessly complicate things. The drive enclosure has an ethernet port, and a female USB port. I don't believe that I can simply plug in a USB cable to access the drive (it would require a male-to-male USB cable which seems rare). I have been unable to see the drive if I just plug it in to my router via ethernet - I assume I need either the iOmega utility or some other way to ping the network.

As an alternative to jumping through those hoops, I've found a YouTube video that suggests one way to access files on these drives is to mount it on a machine running Ubuntu Linux (since that's apparently what runs the NAS server and it's formatted using the ext file system). I would need to pull the drive from it's current enclosure (simple enough), mount it in a spare drive enclosure (I have one), then one simply plugs that drive (enclosure) via standard USB cable into a machine that can read a drive formatted with the ext file system. The YouTube video shows that being done on a PC running Ubuntu; I don't have one of those handy. I do have a couple Macs.

I have the hardware that's needed to do this. What I don't have is the knowledge of how to access an external drive formatted with the ext file system from a Mac.

I can get the drive in a standard enclosure easily enough, plug in a standard USB cable, and hook it up to my Mac (running Mojave). Given the Unix/Linux roots of macOS, I'm hoping there's a reasonably simple way of getting a Mac to see the files on that drive, and then copying them off it. Is there?

All I want to do is connect to the drive, look at the contents, and copy all the files to my Mac. After all files are copied, I can either reformat the drive for use as a conventional drive for extra storage, or just trash it. I'm just looking to recover the files.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about doing that? Thank you!

Posted on May 10, 2019 11:55 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 11, 2019 10:56 AM in response to longtimemacuser666

If the NAS has more than one drive, then the drives may be configured as a RAID which won't allow you to view the drives outside of the NAS box. If however the NAS consists of just a single drive, then create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher. Option boot your Mac and select the orange icon labeled "EFI". Once you reach the Knoppix desktop, click on the file explorer icon which looks like a file cabinet located near the "Start" menu on the taskbar. You can mount the external drive by clicking on partitions on the left pane of the file explorer until you find the one with the data. You won't be able to save data to the Mac because Linux doesn't not support writing to HFS+ (Journaled) or APFS filesystems. You can save the data to an NTFS, FAT32, or ExFAT partition or to a network drive.

While Knoppix will boot a 2016-2017 laptop you will need to use an external USB keyboard & mouse as the internal ones won't be usable as Linux doesn't have driver support for them yet.

May 13, 2019 3:04 AM in response to longtimemacuser666

As HWTech mentions, if the drive was part of a RAID system then trying to access a single drive may not work as you will not have the full set of data.

If however it was just a single drive then the following is a commercial tool to allow a Mac to access Ext3 and Ext4 formatted drives.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-mac/

Access files on Linux-formatted (ext3 or ext4) drive directly from my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.