Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos showing in albums but not in library after repair

I have a brand new iMac and have transferred my Photos library from my old MacBook Pro without any issues.

After importing some photos from my phone I realised this had created duplicates due to the fact that .heic files were imported from the phone which were not identified as duplicates with the same jpeg that had synchronised through Photo Stream. In trying to clean up I noticed Photos would not let me delete the heic files, so initiated a repair of the library, thinking it would help.

The result is that after the repair my photos show in the albums but not in the photos/moments/... and the app opens as if there were no photos (with an introductory message indicating what to do to start using the Photos app).

I checked the Library contents and all my photos seam to be in the master folder but Photos somehow has lost the link to them. I have tried repairing again but nothing helps.

Has anyone had the same issue and solved it?

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 11, 2019 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2019 3:17 PM

Thanks Old Toad.

I tried that but clicking on Show in Moment took me nowhere.

I have actually just solved my issue in the most unprobable way. Here’s how I did it in case it happens to someone else:

- dragged the library file to the desktop

- changed the name/extension adding xxx to the end (appeared like a folder instead of a photo library)

- opened Photos which now showed all my photos

- renamed the library back to its original name

- dragged the library back to its original location

Photos is now back to normal, the only exception being the last two albums created on the iMac which I recreated easily. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2019 3:17 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad.

I tried that but clicking on Show in Moment took me nowhere.

I have actually just solved my issue in the most unprobable way. Here’s how I did it in case it happens to someone else:

- dragged the library file to the desktop

- changed the name/extension adding xxx to the end (appeared like a folder instead of a photo library)

- opened Photos which now showed all my photos

- renamed the library back to its original name

- dragged the library back to its original location

Photos is now back to normal, the only exception being the last two albums created on the iMac which I recreated easily. 

Photos showing in albums but not in library after repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.