Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Issues in Hgh Sierra

I have just upgraded fro Yosemite to High Sierra at the request of some work related remote requirement.

I now find that I cannot open Photos. It states that it is updating library.

I do not use the Apple icloud, so all the the pictures are on my mac drive. I do have over 20,000 pictures. It been running for over 4 hours and it is still showing the download at 0%.

Can anyone please offer any advice or help. Many thanks.

Posted on May 12, 2019 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2019 11:41 AM

Upgrading a Photos Library of 20000 photos can take a very long time and you may not be seeing any progress for hours.

But it is very strange that you are seeing a message about "download at 0%". There is no download involved, if iCloud Photos Library is disabled.

Have you checked the System Preferences > iCloud > Photos > Options. Has iCloud Photos become enabled by the upgrade?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive? If it is on an external drive, has this drive been used for Time Machine backups?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2019 11:41 AM in response to hal174

Upgrading a Photos Library of 20000 photos can take a very long time and you may not be seeing any progress for hours.

But it is very strange that you are seeing a message about "download at 0%". There is no download involved, if iCloud Photos Library is disabled.

Have you checked the System Preferences > iCloud > Photos > Options. Has iCloud Photos become enabled by the upgrade?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive? If it is on an external drive, has this drive been used for Time Machine backups?

Photos Issues in Hgh Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.