Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music file location

Trying to understand the file structure for iTunes files, the music I've uploaded seems to be scattered everywhere in the /user/Music/iTunes folder. Some seem to be there under artist names, others under a folder called /user/Music.iTunes/iTunes Media/Music, also under artist names, then some seem to be under /user/Music.iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Compilations.

Anyone know the reasoning for this, seeming, convoluted structure?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't relocate all of them under /user/Music/iTunes to keep everything in one place?

The reason I'm asking is because I have other devices that cannot be connected to the computer (ex: car audio system), it would be a lot easier to copy things over if I can get them in a more logical organization.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 12, 2019 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2019 3:37 PM

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some background. iTunes has a default layout that it uses and you cannot alter. That said you can place your media anywhere you choose and set your import options such that iTunes doesn't move or copy anything when it is added to the library. iTunes on a Mac will be more forgiving if you move files around by hand provided they are kept on the same volume. I practice I recommend sticking to the default layout, or if not then at the very least keeping everything inside iTunes/iTunes Media. It might be that you'd be better off leaving the library alone, but taking control of any exports for use with your other devices. See https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php for a tool you might find useful.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2019 3:37 PM in response to Mike Lipay

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some background. iTunes has a default layout that it uses and you cannot alter. That said you can place your media anywhere you choose and set your import options such that iTunes doesn't move or copy anything when it is added to the library. iTunes on a Mac will be more forgiving if you move files around by hand provided they are kept on the same volume. I practice I recommend sticking to the default layout, or if not then at the very least keeping everything inside iTunes/iTunes Media. It might be that you'd be better off leaving the library alone, but taking control of any exports for use with your other devices. See https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php for a tool you might find useful.

tt2

iTunes music file location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.