Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes music folder

Pheww. Very frustrating. I am trying put all scattered songs (since iTunes filed by each artists). In order to put all the songs that belongs to an album together. I am going through a very tedious process having iTunes 12.4 App open and iTunes Music folder open. You can imagine how tedious this is I have lots of albums that are scattered all over.

Is there an easier way to do this?

I don't like the way iTunes has been filing my music. Consequently, I am going to "move" vs. "copy" my iTunes Music content (after being reorganized) into an ext HD.

I'm still planning to use iTunes as a Music player. I am wondering do I also need to move the following folders: Album library, Mobile Apps, Previous iTunes Libraries. Or just leave those folders intact and only move iTunes Music folder to the EHD.

iTunes it's very flawed IMO. It will file an album by the name of the promoter vs. the title name.

BTW, I have searched, and searched here about this issue and the only responses I found were over 14 years old. I'm using an iMac. Thanks in advance and hopefully I would get some help

PS. And yet I can view exactly in the iTunes App The albums filed alphabetically and listing all the respective songs for each album, regardless where the songs are in finder. But it doesn't help since I can't edit or do anything with this information

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 12:58 PM

You're not really supposed to move files in your iTunes library around manually, although OS X/macOS can be forgiving provided everything stays on the same volume. iTunes Music is the name of the media folder used in iTunes 8 and earlier, it is somewhat out of date. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some advice on the layout of the library, and how to move it from one drive to another. In a modern library I would expect to see music files stored in the pattern: ../iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/## <Name>.<Ext>.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 12:58 PM in response to swansee

You're not really supposed to move files in your iTunes library around manually, although OS X/macOS can be forgiving provided everything stays on the same volume. iTunes Music is the name of the media folder used in iTunes 8 and earlier, it is somewhat out of date. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some advice on the layout of the library, and how to move it from one drive to another. In a modern library I would expect to see music files stored in the pattern: ../iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/## <Name>.<Ext>.

tt2

Mar 6, 2022 6:15 PM in response to swansee

If you fix the metadata in iTunes to organize albums properly, and you're letting iTunes organize the media folder, then all tracks from the same album should end up in the same folder, organized under the same album artist.

If iTunes or Music show multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Song Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen the application between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that the application wanted to keep separate start typing a value and use the autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Mar 6, 2022 5:35 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for reading my posting.

No Im not trying to modify the itunes filing system in the music fplder while using iTunes App.

As you know lots of ppl have moved the music folder to an EHD. All I wanna know how can consolidate all the songs from a given album regardless where they are in finder.

Otherwise, whats the use?

Itunes music folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.