Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to organize iTunes structure so that it is not so messy!

I have been trying to set up on my windows 10 computer with an old itunes library from a older Macbook Pro from like 2012, running OSX 10.6.8. It has a lot of music & playlists I would like to be able to use across all my platforms. ie: Windows / Imac M1 24" / iphone / ipad / ipod. So I copied all my media to an external hard drive along with the iTunes folder etc, etc. Got it set up onto my windows machine using iTunes v12.12.?. I managed to get all the music linked up however they were spread out into the iTunes Media Folder and the Music Folder within the IiTunes Media Folder ( iTunes Folder located on the external hard drive ). So I wanted to attempt to consolidate which it did, however more files were moved into the iTunes Media folder rather than into the Music Folder. ( I truly don't understand how iTunes can think this is more organized ? ) Now what I want to know is if there is a way to structure this so that all my music can be situated into the Music Folder within the iTunes Media Folder and not spread between the two folders? ( This would make iTunes truly organized ) If you have some sort of solution I would be externally grateful for the help. Once I have the structure I want I can then link this to my Apple Music and sync all my Apple devices to it.

I am extremely frustrated and confused and having used iTunes a lot in the past I do not understand why this is so hard to do.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 3:52 PM

To turingtest2

Thank you so much. The "File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files is

responsible for adding the Music subfolder below iTunes Media. If the

option is greyed out then it is already active." worked and put all the folders into the Music folder within the iTunes Media Folder. Again thank you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2023 3:52 PM in response to bilfrank

To turingtest2

Thank you so much. The "File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files is

responsible for adding the Music subfolder below iTunes Media. If the

option is greyed out then it is already active." worked and put all the folders into the Music folder within the iTunes Media Folder. Again thank you.

Feb 13, 2023 3:19 PM in response to bilfrank

Whoops, I thought this one was Mac related for some reason. Ignore all that.

Consolidate copies in files that are located outside of the media folder. Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced and turn the Keep organized option off and then back on again to enforce the layout of the library. File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files is responsible for adding the Music subfolder below iTunes Media. If the option is greyed out then it is already active.

tt2

Trying to organize iTunes structure so that it is not so messy!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.